Using a caddy - Which drive goes where?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacBook08, Oct 9, 2011.

1. MacBook08 macrumors regular

Background:
    I have a friend who purchased a caddy to install a second hard drive in his MacBook.
    One drive is, of course, the original 250 GB Hitachi hard drive and the other drive is a 60 GB OCZ SSD.

Question: Which goes where?

(I'm doing the installation and) I was thinking about putting the SSD in the traditional hard drive location and the Hitachi HDD in the Super Drive caddy but I was worried that the Hitachi HDD's temp, speed, sleep status, and shock protection is controlled and controlled specifically over the SATA cable located in the original HDD location. Simply, I know that the SSD can handle being in the caddy (whether or not that's the ideal location for speed, I don't know) but I'm unsure if the Hitachi could handle being in the caddy. Of course, he's worried about things like battery life and heat, as well, and if the caddy location can't control the Hitachi's sleep status correctly, then that would harm battery life even more, I'm sure.

Note: In case you're wondering, the SSD will be the boot drive.

2. s4z0r macrumors member

3. yrrej macrumors regular

i am considering this upgrade as well. i just put replaced my 500gb seagate HDD with a 128 crucial m4 ssd a few days ago. i'm planning to do the caddy upgrade next week.

i've read a otn of threads on it and i remember seeing people say that the SSD should go in the original hd slot while the HDD goes into the caddy slot. This is because the connection on the caddy slot is meant for an optical drive and doesn't max out the speeds of the SSD. this is just what i've read...good luck.

4. MacBook08 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Makes perfect sense. I've also heard that some have experienced sleep/wake problems with the boot drive in the caddy. So, with this in mind, I've decided it would be best to put the bootable SSD in the original hard drive slot.

5. howman66 macrumors newbie