using a case overheats Macbook Pro Retina!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by red321red321, Aug 16, 2013.

1. red321red321 macrumors regular

I've got a Macbook Pro Retina 15" and I have a Moshi hardshell case for it. The case is awesome - great fit, thin, light, great protection.

Lately though, I found that my Internet gets really slow after using the computer for a while. I took it in and the service guy suggested overheating might be causing it.

Initially, I didn't believe him. Sure enough though, I got home and began having the same issues. This time, I noticed the computer was indeed getting very hot. So, I took off my case, held my laptop in front of my AC, and voila! problem solved. As I took off the case, I also noticed that there was a lot of heat trapped between the case and the underside of the computer

So, love my case, but can't use it due to overheating.

2. sarthak macrumors 6502

That's what most cases do. You might want to consider using a cooling pad or using software to ramp up the fan speed.

Here's an awesome piece of software that automatically increases fan speed as the temperature increases, keeping the system cool.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1623708

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

So with smcFanControl, everything is automated? You need really need to micromanage the fans?

Also, if hardshell cases cause overheating. Don't you think Apple wouldn't carry them?

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The 2012 rMBP has added cooling vents/grilles that these external covers cover up. Hence the heating concern.

If a proper cover was made that had air holes at the relevant spots...

Why not poke a few holes in the case, proximate to where the grille holes on the 2012 rMBP are located? Your rMBP warranty won't be voided and you'll still get useful protection for the aluminum case.

5. red321red321 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for all the awesome suggestions. As a start, I removed the case, but overheating still seems to occurr. I'll now try the fan control program to boost fan speed.

6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

sounds like a unit related problem rather then a case causing it.

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Install iStat Pro and monitor what the temps actually are.

Next time it's slow and over heating look what the temps are.

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Instead of hiding the symptoms with the invasive smcFanControl, why don't you figure out why your computer is warming up?

Check the list of processes when you notice your computer heating up. Chances are, one of them is topping the list of CPU intensive programs. Also, check what graphics processor is in use by going to Apple Logo (top left) > About > More Info.

And it's extremely unlikely heat throttling is making your web browsing experience slower. You might want to reset Safari, or give Google Chrome a whirl.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I bought Speck See Thru clear case for my new rMBP and it does not cause any overheat at all. it feels cool right now. I am happy with Speck even though some people did not like it because of scratch caused by Speck case but mine does not. :apple:

10. red321red321 thread starter macrumors regular

The temps are not that high. I still think it is heat related, because literally the web pages will load when I hold my computer up to the AC and it cools down. Then when it heats up again, the internet slows. It sounds amazing but I think it is true. For now, I have reformmated my hard drive. The process that was consuming the most CPU and such was Google Chrome.

I very much want to keep my computer and I hope it is not a unit related problem.

11. sarthak macrumors 6502

It's not SMCFanControl. It's Mac Fan Control optimized for the rMBP.

Cases do cause overheating because of poor ventilation. Most people don't experience the overheating because either the fans kick in or they aren't utilizing the system heavily.

In the OP's case, it is an exception. SMC/PRAM Resets only go so far. If with the fan control you still have overheating issues, a genius would be able to repair it.

12. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I've got a Spec see thru case on both of our rMBPs. Both are used with Smoke, After Effects, Premier and FCP7/X. As well as Adobe's Audition and Apple's Logic. Never had an over heating issue even when batch processing 225 5dmkIII RAW files in Lightroom.
    Obviously the OP isn't using the same case as I, but its still in contrast to your statement. I've used the same Spec see-thrus for years now on our MBPs. Never a 'heat' issue, shutdown or failure.

Just saw your response. Right with ya...never seen a scratch on over a dozen laptops we've used the Spec cases on. Quite the opposite. When you take them out, they're in pristine condition.

J

13. zipur macrumors 6502

I use this, it works for me.

Cooldock.jpg