Using a dvd on a Macbook Pro OS X system

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WhiteBlankPage, Jan 4, 2014.

1. WhiteBlankPage macrumors newbie

I have a new Macbook Pro and am completely new to Apple...

I have a USB SuperDrive and have tried a cd rom but it doesn't open automatically as it does on my old computer and when I click on it it opens up into folders which, when I click on, I get this message:

You can’t open the application “AutoRun.exe” because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on OS X.

I have tried looking in the App Store for an app to help but I don't really know what I'm looking for!

Help!

Thank you.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not quite sure what you're asking but I'll give you what I think

First Apple does not have any sort of "auto run" and that's good thing - its a nice security feature. AFAIK MS and others has moved away from auto-run.

Secondly, as you kind of mentioned you cannot natively run any applications written for windows, i.e., anything with an extension of .exe.

Thirdly Microsoft offers an OSX version of office, Check out http://www.microsoft.com/mac

Also you can use LibraOffice which is an open source alternative to MS Office.

3. WhiteBlankPage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mike.

Is there anything I can download/buy that will allow me to use a cd rom that has been configured to windows?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

yep, but you'll also need windows.

You can get Vmware Fusion which allows you to run windows within OSX, but you'll need to install your copy of windows. Fusion does not include windows. Once installed you can run all your windows programs their.

5. WhiteBlankPage thread starter macrumors newbie