Using a family member's upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zethca, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Zethca macrumors regular

When I ordered from Apple last week I entered my brother's number because he used my last upgrade, so I get to use his.

What's the easiest way to get the phone linked to my line when it arrives? Can I just put my current iPhone 4 sim in it? Anything during activation? Hopefully I dont have to call ATT Friday because I'm sure I'll be on hold for hours.

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yeah, just put your SIM card in the phone. Make sure you take out the SIM card already in the phone before turning it on, or it will disable his current one.

Also, what phone does he have? I used someone else's upgrade as well, and I'm going to have to cancel their data plan after I get my iPhone.

3. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I used my dad's upgrade and I'm coming from a 3GS so my sim is regular sized. If I plug the 4S into my computer what is going to happen? Isn't there a way to register the micro sim to my number?

4. Zethca thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. This will make my life a lot easier. He has an atrix with equivalent data plan I think. But if I use my sim that shouldn't matter right.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

The SIM comes pre provisioned to your dad's number, so turning the phone on with the SIM in will automatically disable his and activate the phone. You're going to have to either get a microSIM from AT&T, or cut your current SIM card

6. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Not to hijack the thread but what if I have my old iPhone 4 micro sim that I haven't used since last summer? Could I use that in the 4S or do I still need to get a new one from AT&T?

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Is it the same number? Once a SIM card has been provisioned, it can't be reprovisioned. Also, once deactivated, it can't be reactivated. Not sure how it works if you never activated it in the first place though

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

The easiest way is to go into the store and have them do it. The lady told me it would take 5 min.

9. Zethca thread starter macrumors regular

Since I already have a micro sim from my iPhone 4 I should be able to put it in the new phone before activating and not have to deal with ATT right?