Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ModestPenguin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
OKC
Will this work or not? It would be really helpful to know that cause then I wouldnt be so afraid with the whole risking my pretty pretty 20" iMac's good health and fortune....:confused:

Kurst

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
My initial try

ModestPenguin said:
Will this work or not? It would be really helpful to know that cause then I wouldnt be so afraid with the whole risking my pretty pretty 20" iMac's good health and fortune....:confused:

My initail try is I could get the boot loader to work off the firewire drive. But I could not get the drive itself to be found when installing XP. Could be that there is no firewire driver at that point for hard drive.

I'll try to dive into it later when I have more time to experiment.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ModestPenguin said:
Other posts have suggested that this won't work.

This makes me wonder if the boot selector will still let you boot OS X from a FW drive... This way you could put Windows on the internal drive and boot OS X on the external...

Anyhow, it doesn't take a huge partition to boot Windows, and once booted I suspect it can see external drives where you can keep your apps & docs.

B

Suspended
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
Yep, until an update is made, 20" imac users are out of luck (myself included).

I am going to wait until appropriate video drivers are found before I have a go.

mrplow

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
if it makes you feel any better, as soon asyou get XP installed.. you just start drooling after graphics drivers.. it's a bitter sweet victory. i've bricked my Windows partition twice now trying to hack up some drivers.. i quit until someone else does it :cool:

ECM

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
How about booting from an external USB 2 drive?

Is there any reason why this would not work? Would XP have USB drivers load during the boot sequence so that an external USB drive could be used as a windows boot volume?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Using a neighbors computer to install windows may cause problems. Usually Windows gets upset if you switch major system components on it. Its going to look for the motherboard (chipsets and serial number) and CPU in your neighbors computer when loading on the Mac. Though if you carefully clean out drivers loaded for your neighbors computer and reset the system registry it should work. Also wait to activate your windows license when the FW drive is installed on the Mac.

edit: Also have all of your neighbors hard drives removed as the windows install will put some startup files on the internal drive on your neighbors computer. It wouldn't hurt their machine in any way but you would have to repair the Master Boot Record on the external. I forget the name of what else would need to be repaired, but the commands for repairs in Windows recovery console would be 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot'.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Why?

jamesmcd said:
Yep, until an update is made, 20" imac users are out of luck (myself included).

I am going to wait until appropriate video drivers are found before I have a go.
Yeah, why is that? Is it known yet why the 20" iMac won't play along? Is it different in any way from the 17" one? Well, except for the processor. Is the graphics card different in any way? What is the difference between the two iMac models?!...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ECM said:
Is there any reason why this would not work? Would XP have USB drivers load during the boot sequence so that an external USB drive could be used as a windows boot volume?
The way USB booting "usually" works on Windows PCs is that the USB mass storage drivers are in the BIOS, and the bootloader just sees them as regular internal drives.

B

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Kingsly said:
So the XP installer does NOT see a FW drive? Darn. The bootloader does though, right? so If I can install XP on a ext. drive (using a neighbors PC... he owes me :) ) then theoretically it should work, right?

Nope, this won't work. You can't install Windows XP to an external Firewire drive at all. The Windows installer will reboot the computer and then fail to detect the FW drive.

The only thing that could come close to working is removing the external drive from its case, connecting it internally, installing Windows, and putting the drive back in the case, and boot the Mac via Firewire. The Windows bootloader would probably be messed up, but you might be able to coax it into behaving. That's just an outside shot, though. Also, when installing Windows on the PC, make sure that once you've finished and booted into Windows, go into device manager and delete everything (say no when it asks you to restart). Connect it to the Mac without rebooting the Windows drive, and it will then redetect the new hardware, assuming you can get it to boot at all.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Ok, got a little bit of a dump-a-roo here...

I was thinking about this booting windows from a firewire drive thing, and well... How is this any different then using a RAID card for a Windows install. I mean, you can slipstream drivers for a RAID card into the install disc, so why couldn't you do the same for a firewire controller? I am not sure if this would work, but it seems to be something that people have kinda overlooked. I will give it a shot later in the year when I can afford to get a FireWire drive. I think that this could work if done similar to booting from a RAID card. :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
How is this any different then using a RAID card for a Windows install.

You are right, it's not any different than booting from any non-standard storage device that needs custom drivers.

Trouble is, Windows doesn't ship with the appropriate drivers and I have not found any generic Firewire storage drivers. If you find any, please post and the world will be very happy!

B

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
I was reading up a tad and I think that standard Windows drivers will work for the install / booting. So put punk the driver from BootCamp and slipstream it into the install.

Does Windows on a Mac support both FW400 and FW800?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Windows won't install natively to a FireWire drive without certain BIOS extensions which make the external FW drives look like an internal drive.

Also, as far I have been able to tell FW has the same problem as USB boot in that the FireWire drivers are initialized during boot causing your boot volume to go offline, which is not a good thing.

Have you found something different? Links please.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.