Using a G4 body and making upgrades

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PixelPerfect1, Apr 26, 2015.

1. PixelPerfect1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I've always loved the look of the G4, but I can't justify the cost and space of having an actual G4 machine, simply because of how outdated it is.

Yes, I am aware that a G4 is -mostly- usable today for things even as power hungry as video editing, but I use programs like the Adobe Creative Suite and a few other modern applications that I can't live without.

But I want a g4.

I've been looking around, and I found an 800Mhz 17" model that I would be willing to pay for, although I would rather have a 20", but $100+ is a bit much to ask for a PC from '03.

I would like to gut it (Gasp!)

I would like to at least replace the motherboard and HDD, and maybe take out the CD drive. Maybe.

I would replace it all with some NUC style device, maybe a Gigabyte BRIX Gaming because then I could cram a graphics card in there.

But what I'm here to ask is would I be able to replace the display? It appears to be a very thick TFT display with ~1/2 inch bezels on the inside.

http://www.ztronics.com/parts-by-br...0x1200-wuxga-matte-screen-lp171wu1-tl-a6.html

This display looks like it could easily fit in it's place.

Has anyone found a display that would replace the stock one and just use it via DVI or HDMI or something?

Laptop displays appear to be the best option, just because they come in the smaller sizes and have thin bezel. Getting a controller board isn't really a problem.

If you're wondering, the controller board for that exact monitor is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-VGA-DV...ch-LP171WU1-1920-1200-lcd-panel-/181013101696

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can't really answer your questions but I will just say that a G4 can handle CS, CS2, CS3 and CS4.

Unless, you are meaning that you have to have the absolute latest version of Creative Suite (CS6)? Or did you mean CC?

3. PixelPerfect1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I could work with CS5.5, but I use CC on a daily basis. The plugins I work with aren't compatible with the older versions (>=5.5)

4. weckart macrumors 68040

5. PixelPerfect1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see he has two mods thatwould do what I want, one with VESA, the other with the HV wires in the neck

But no tutorial for the HV wires one. Most he has is "I did it!"

I was more so trying to ask if the display in the OP would fit.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

Only one way to find out, unfortunately. I would assume most modern screens should be slim enough and have small enough bezels for that not to be a problem. Securing the panel might be another issue. Apple tends to customise its components to fit its designs rather than the other way round.

Take a tour of the hackintosh sites. There should be a few detailed guides around of various mods.

7. PixelPerfect1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, 3D printing a bracket shouldn't be an issue if needed. Hopefully I could find someone with exact dimensions of the internal cavity and some spacings and stuff

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Private message Macdude2010 as he has done this type of mod before.

9. PixelPerfect1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I have to be of a certain post count to PM people?

I mean, as evil as it would be I could just do this

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Private messaging is enabled after 5 posts and one day of membership. Members have the option to disable the PM system on their accounts however.