Using a hacked Iphone in Europe

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bading, May 10, 2010.

1. bading macrumors newbie

I am moving to London for 2 1/2 months soon, then going on a 2 week tour of western Europe, and i was thinking about signing up for a 2 year contract at AT&T and getting the Iphone. Then i was going to Hack it so when i go to Europe for 3 months i can get a Sim card from there to travel with to save myself from a contract or expensive roaming charges. So my question is, if i hack the US Iphone 3GS, will it work with European networks (meaning will it work with their frequencies)?

Thank you

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You have to unlock a phone to use other carrier's on it. A new phone will come with firmware 3.1.3 and baseband 5.12.xx. There is currenty no unlock for 5.12.xx, so you cannot unlock it.

This all depends on how soon you are leaving.

A new iPhone and new OS is coming in June and we expect there will be an unlock for the new firmware in June, but no guarantees.

Before you buy anything, make sure an unlock for the new OS has been released or the phone will be worthless overseas.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, what dhlizard said above.
    Not every version of OS can be hacked and unlocked.
    It depends on the firmware and baseband and the latest 3.1.3 cannot be unlocked.

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

If you buy your iphone from O2 when you are in London, you will be able to get it officially "factory unlocked" by them. Then the unlock will be permanent and no hacking needed. It will work with GSM networks worldwide including AT&T in the USA. You can then get whatever AT&T or T-Mobile contract suits you best when you get back.

Your options are to buy it subsidised on contract (18 months) and pay off the contract when you leave, or to buy it unsubsidised on Pay As You Go. Both include unlimited internet usage.

5. philstone macrumors 6502

Just to add onto that - when you're in Europe, you won't be able to get cheap data from any of the French providers, Spain you can buy a PAYG sim from Movistar and use it for data at a reasonable price.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it also takes about 2 weeks for an iPhone to be unlocked via O2

7. bading thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the tip, however i am still wondering if anyone knows if the the frequencies are the same, so when i go to Europe with a US hacked Iphone that Iphone will still work on their networks without any problems.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The iPhone is GSM. ALmost, if not every carrier, in Europe is GSM. Get a GSM sim, you will be fine.

9. bading thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your insight.

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

In the 2G GSM domain, there are four commonly used frequencies. Two of them are commonly used in the USA, Mexico and Canada, and the other two of them are commonly used just about everywhere else. Some countries may also use other wacky frequencies for 2G service, but at least 2 of the 4 common frequencies should be usable just about everywhere.

The iPhone supports using 2G service on all of the four common frequencies.

In terms of 3G GSM service, a couple of the same frequencies commonly used for 2G service may also be re-purposed for 3G instead. In addition, there are a handful of additional frequencies that may also be used for 3G service.

The iPhone supports three of the most common 3G GSM frequencies deployed worldwide.

11. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

There is no difference between iPhone's sold in America and iPhones sold in Europe, except for the carrier that they are locked to. All are 100% compatible with each other. i.e. they work.