Using a hard drive to back up with Time Machine...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bendy Walker, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

I'm purchasing a 20" iMac aluminium model tomorrow with a 500Gb hard drive, and I was wondering that if I got a 500Gb external hard drive/Time Capsule to go with it, if it would be enough to back up my files, or would I have to buy a 1Tb external to support my hard drive. Thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That depends - are you going to fill your 500 GB HDD? ...It doesn't matter how big your internal HDD is, but rather how much space is used.

3. Bendy Walker thread starter macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Ah, I see! Haha, I'm quite an idiot. Well in that case, I don't think I'll fill up the 500Gb hard drive! Okay, question number two: Do any 500Gb HDDs have Firewire 400/800 connections on them? 'Cause I'd rather they be connected via one of those to free up a USB on my iMac.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, check out Lacie.

Keep in mind, the more free space you have the further "back in time" you can go. For example, if you use 400 GB of your internal, you may want to get a 750 GB external, but if you only use about 300 GB on your internal, a 500 GB external should be fine.

5. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Lacie has had some major quality issues lately, I would definitely check reviews on any product you are thinking of buying before you do and also check out other sources besides Lacie.

6. Bendy Walker thread starter macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Thanks for the replies.

I sort of get it now. I'm not even sure how much I'll use Time Machine, but it's nice to know that it's there should I ever need too go back in time.

Well, on the site I use to purchase all my computing gear, they seem very happy with the Lacie hard drives. I guess we'll just have to see closer to the time. Thanks for you help guys. :D