Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Both my HDTVs have two hd slots, and on both the slots are filled (directv and ps3). I have an HD splitter and want to use it to add the Atv into the mix, but I'm not sure how to hook it up.

coxhead andy

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
According to me aTV allows using both OPTICAL and COMPONENT audio outputs simultaneously rather then that I have no more idea but equally enthusiastic to know more about this.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Both my HDTVs have two hd slots, and on both the slots are filled (directv and ps3). I have an HD splitter and want to use it to add the Atv into the mix, but I'm not sure how to hook it up.

Do you have the ATV 2?

If so, you don't have component video in as the previous poster suggested. Do both your TVs have HDMI?

Either way, I wouldn't do a splitter for HD IF you're going to ever be running both displays at the same time. You lose a lot of bandwidth and PQ will suffer.

If, however, you plan to run one or the other individually, then it could be a good solution.

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Do you have the ATV 2?

If so, you don't have component video in as the previous poster suggested. Do both your TVs have HDMI?

Either way, I wouldn't do a splitter for HD IF you're going to ever be running both displays at the same time. You lose a lot of bandwidth and PQ will suffer.

If, however, you plan to run one or the other individually, then it could be a good solution.

Yes, I have the atv2 and was planning on using an HDMI cable to connect. Do you suggest something else?

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
im confused, are you trying to hook it up to two tvs at once? If so, get a matrix for all of your devices. YOu can get something like a 3x2 to cover everything you need. 3 in and 2 out.

I am not recommending this device specifically but its something like this
http://www.dhgate.com/3x2-hdmi-matrix-hdmi-1-3-matrix-switch-switcher/p-ff8080812f0f13aa012f13d9114c2d16.html

No. Connecting the Atv2 to one tv. I couldn't connect to 2 tvs because they're on separate floors.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
So you don't want a splitter (one source into two displays), you want a switch (two sources into one display). Make sure you've got the right one. You typically can't just turn a splitter around to make a switch because you need a way to select between the two incoming signals, either automatically (depending on which one was turned on most recently) or manually (a hard switch or remote control). Once you've got the right switch it's a simple matter of plugging two of your devices into the switch and then connecting the switch to one of your TV's HDMI inputs.

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
So you don't want a splitter (one source into two displays), you want a switch (two sources into one display). Make sure you've got the right one. You typically can't just turn a splitter around to make a switch because you need a way to select between the two incoming signals, either automatically (depending on which one was turned on most recently) or manually (a hard switch or remote control). Once you've got the right switch it's a simple matter of plugging two of your devices into the switch and then connecting the switch to one of your TV's HDMI inputs.

It's good to know the difference. I have one switcher from mono price. It's an HDX-501. My question is how to set the cables up, which goes in and out? I'm using a directv hd dvr, a ps3, and the atv2. Right now everything goes through my yamaha receiver.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Consider updating your receiver. A good new (2-3 years or newer) AV receiver will do HDMI switching as well as all the stuff it does. Good basic ones start at $250.

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Consider updating your receiver. A good new (2-3 years or newer) AV receiver will do HDMI switching as well as all the stuff it does. Good basic ones start at $250.

I got the Yamaha receiver last fall, so it is fairly new.

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Irish, I'm pretty sure there are two. One has the directv plugged in and one has the ps3 for movies.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Irish, I'm pretty sure there are two. One has the directv plugged in and one has the ps3 for movies.

That seems like too few to be as new as you said.

Flip it around and give those a good count, then come back and we'll go from there.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
It's a Yamaha HTR-6230. One HD going in and 2 going out.

Since you HAVE a switch in your AVR, I'm not optimistic about introducing another switch into the mix.

I don't think you'll be happy with the result. I've never done what you're looking to do, but I can imagine syncing issues, and switching issues.

Maybe someone else can chime in with their experience using both an AVR and an HDMI switcher?

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Since you HAVE a switch in your AVR, I'm not optimistic about introducing another switch into the mix.

I don't think you'll be happy with the result. I've never done what you're looking to do, but I can imagine syncing issues, and switching issues.

Maybe someone else can chime in with their experience using both an AVR and an HDMI switcher?

I don't need to hear/view the ATV2 through the receiver. What if I somehow bypassed it and had the splitter go into the atv to use another Video Input?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I don't need to hear/view the ATV2 through the receiver. What if I somehow bypassed it and had the splitter go into the atv to use another Video Input?

IF you're truly going to be satisfied with just TV speaker sound (obviously, you're not happy with it for movie watching, as you have an AV receiver), then know yourself out. Go ahead and try it.

How many HDMIs does your TV Have?

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
I have only 2 hdmi imputs on my tv. One has cable box and one has my Bose system. Before you bose bash me, I did have a sony es 5.1 receiver and and very good speakers. My lovely bride like to rearrange the furniture about twice a year, and to be honest I couldn't take it anymore. Bought the bose 321 system, just a L/R and sub, and freaking love it, does just fine for movies and tv. I also have a vintage receiver, cd palyer and vintage advents for 2 channel jamming. The vintage stuff is in the cabinet below the tv, and the cable box, bose box and apple tv are visible, looks very nice on the cabinet/tv stand. The sony is now in the garage for tunes out there.

ok, back to the question at hand. I bought an Iogear switch at fryes, it has 3 imputs and 1 output. The bose and apple tv are pluged into it and it plugs into hdmi 2 on the tv. It even has a little remote to switch between the 3 imputs, works beautifully and it is very small, 3 in. wide, 2 in. deep and 1 in. high. I also have an optical cable running from the apple tv to the bose for sound.

Sorry I went on for so long, hope this helps.

http://www.iogear.com/product/GHDSW4/
This one has 4 imputs, did not see the one I have.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I have only 2 hdmi imputs on my tv. One has cable box and one has my Bose system. Before you bose bash me, I did have a sony es 5.1 receiver and and very good speakers. My lovely bride like to rearrange the furniture about twice a year, and to be honest I couldn't take it anymore. Bought the bose 321 system, just a L/R and sub, and freaking love it, does just fine for movies and tv. I also have a vintage receiver, cd palyer and vintage advents for 2 channel jamming. The vintage stuff is in the cabinet below the tv, and the cable box, bose box and apple tv are visible, looks very nice on the cabinet/tv stand. The sony is now in the garage for tunes out there.

ok, back to the question at hand. I bought an Iogear switch at fryes, it has 3 imputs and 1 output. The bose and apple tv are pluged into it and it plugs into hdmi 2 on the tv. It even has a little remote to switch between the 3 imputs, works beautifully and it is very small, 3 in. wide, 2 in. deep and 1 in. high. I also have an optical cable running from the apple tv to the bose for sound.

Sorry I went on for so long, hope this helps.

http://www.iogear.com/product/GHDSW4/
This one has 4 imputs, did not see the one I have.

Can I be honest in my recommendation?

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I have a bunch of HDMI cables so that's not a problem.

It sounds like jca24 has a similar setup. The switcher I have has one out slot and 5 in slots. The out slot from the switcher goes where first?

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
I have a bunch of HDMI cables so that's not a problem.

It sounds like jca24 has a similar setup. The switcher I have has one out slot and 5 in slots. The out slot from the switcher goes where first?

Just connect the output of the switch to an input on your receiver. That will effectively add 4 input ports.

I did the same thing with this switch: http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-High-Pe...WKYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309390272&sr=8-1

My Onkyo receiver has 5 HDMI ports on the rear, but I just have too many gadgets. The switch works transparently. I programmed my Harmony remote to control the switch when I am using one of the devices connected to it.

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
If it does not work with the receiver, we have a 32 inch vizio tv in another room. Two slots on the tv for HDMI cables, so I could use the switcher there also or get another switcher to move the Atv back and forth. Would just have to figure out the same thing I posted earlier: where does the out slot on the switcher go?

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
the out on the switcher would go to the tv. The switch gives you the added imputs to the tv. I know you have the receiver, in my mind there is no reason to run the video from the Atv through the receiver, just the audio. So if you have hdmi from Atv to switch, and any other sources, and switch to tv, then go with an optical cable from Atv to the receiver. All will be good.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007

Works perfectly for me actually, never had an issue. Works just as well as plugging the stuff into the AVR directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.