Using a iPad/Tablet to develop apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by icewendigo, Mar 7, 2011.

1. icewendigo macrumors newbie

I saw the iPad is being sold as, among other things, being a platform that can be used to do some work on the go. (I'm looking forward to the day when a tablet/ipad is just as powerful and versatile as a notebook)

1- My question is, are there any plans to make the SDK to make APPS for the iPad available for the iPad itself?

2- Are there any non-Apple Tablets that can be used to develop programs for the tablet you are coding on?
    (a notebook can, but what about the various tablets?)

thanks

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

no you can't. Developing is probably something that will always require the full OS. Probably the only tablets you could also develop on are some Windows based tablets, but Windows isn't a good OS for a tablet.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Windows tablets/convertible PCs can be used to develop for full OSes like Windows; I wouldn't consider getting one for that purpose without some kind of a physical keyboard. The Axiotron ModBook is basically a tablet MacBook, you can use that to develop for Windows (BootCamp), OSX and iOS.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Too bad there's no Hypercard - like app creator for the iPad.

Or something like Google's App Inventor for Android, except made for a tablet. It's based on just dragging and dropping program blocks into place... perfect for a touch device.

Or at the least, something like Tasker for Android, where you can easily program tasks like turning on WiFi when the phone is in a certain location at a certain time.

5. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

The answer now is certainly no. But i think to bet against this down the road is silly. Sooner or later the munging of iOS and OSX, along with inevitably steady increases in hardwre horsepower, will make using an iPad for developing apps...for the iPad...more than doable.

6. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I would go so far as to say that there is no physical reason why apps couldn't be developed on the iPad right now. The only real reason is that no developer environment has been created yet. But purely from a hardware capability, the current hardware would be capable of running a development environment.