using a kvm with macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chunkdude, Nov 13, 2007.

1. chunkdude macrumors newbie

i couldnt figure out which forum to toss this in so i put it here since it applies to my macbook

ANYWAYS, i have a macbook coming in and i planned on getting a kvm switch so i can use my monitor, keyboard and mouse with my mac when im at home. given that i have a bunch of usb peripherals (printers, usb key, mp3 player, etc) that i want to be able to use on both, i wanted to find a way to run my usb devices through a kvm so i dont have to plug a million cables into whatever machine i want.

i came up with this little drawing, where the peripherals plug into a usb hub, the hub plugs into a kvm switch (that you would normally plus your usb keyboard and mouse into) leaving the second input empty, and both outputs plug into the macbook and the pc

[​IMG]

my question is, would this work....does a usb kvm only work with a usb mouse, or would it work with any usb device.

again sorry if this is the wrong forum, but im confused and its connecting to my macbook so i put it here :)

2. chunkdude thread starter macrumors newbie

3. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

The KVM will act like a USB hub when your macbook is selected, so I can see no reason why it would not work.