Using a laptop as keyboard/monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bnagle, Apr 9, 2008.

1. bnagle macrumors newbie

Hello, I was curious if it's possible to hook-up my laptop to my desktop to serve as its keyboard/monitor/mouse without using a VCN.

The last post I've seen on the topic was from 2005 and I'm hoping there's been some changes.

I've heard this is a solution:
    http://www.epiphan.com/products/product.php?pid=27
    but am not sure if it's what I'm looking for.

any help will be greatly appreciated as getting rid of my old monitor would be a huge space saver.

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

if you're running on Leopard you can use the built-in Screen Sharing (/System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing.app).

Alternatively, take a look at teleport, an app that allows you to control multiple Macs with one set of input devices (works via LAN).

EDIT: Missed that you want something without VNC...I guess that's a no-go then.

/Rupert

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nope.

Pretty much need to use VNC or something like Apple Remote Desktop to control your desktop using your laptop.

EDIT: Right, forgot about screen sharing. Good catch!

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That product looks like it could work, but it'd provide little benefit over a VNC client, as it has to transmit the connected computer's video signal at a greatly reduced frame rate. You might as well just use VNC.