Using a Linksys router for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gravytrain84, Jul 8, 2010.

1. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I've always used airport express but lately I've been noticing big drop in speeds when I'm in the upstairs rooms... I do not feel like spending $175 on another apple router, how much trouble is it to go with linksys? How much settings configurations will I be getting myself into?

2. celticpride678

I personally have had a terrible experience with Linksys routers. They break easily and have a horrible connection.

As far as setup and working with a Mac, should be fine.

3. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I'm the only Mac on the D-Link router in my house. Works without an issue but...at first I had problems with connections working one second and then dropping the next.

I just reset the router and it worked fine. This is my 5th router since 2000. No one can ever seem to make a long lasting router...

My Linksys Router got fried randomly one day.
    Then I got D-Link and it fried.
    Got another D-Link and it fried.
    Tried Linksys again and it just stopped working one day

Now I am on D-Link again. I am considering an Apple Router soon.

4. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

So I should be able to plug up the linksys or whichever brand I decided to go with and my MBP will find that connection? The question sounds dumb but when I first switched to mac, I had a nightmare expierence with netgear, not sure if things have changed since then or not.

5. woohoo macrumors newbie

I just got a Linksys E1000 and for about the first 2 weeks it was good then i noticed connections were going in and out. Called linksys and they gave me the steps to reset it and ever since then it has worked fine.

Hope this helps

woohoo

6. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

I use a Linksys router here at home (N+) and it works great, way better than my DI-524 from D-Link. I recommend it, from my personal experience. I wanted an AirPort Extreme station but I'm not spending $310 for one just because it has an Apple logo on it. :confused:

7. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

exactly.... I need something stronger than the airport express but not spending that much $$ on the extreme when a Linksys will more than likely do the same thing. Did you macbook pick up signal without changing any settings?

8. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

All I did was turn the MBP on and type in the network WEP key. Plug & play job. And I have absolutely nothing to complain about the signal! :)

9. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

What model was it? I have a 6 year old Linksys still running...for a $50 piece of electronics that's amazing...

-J.-