using a Mac in a company that supports only PCs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by itai, Mar 18, 2012.

1. itai macrumors member

I know that that may be an open ended question, but I am curious to know if my employer is supporting only PCs - can I still use a mac (assuming they dont mind) and still have access to all the corporate applications. I dont mind setting up everything myself, just curious if its even possible without any support from the IT.

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

That probably depends on the extend of the network and the applications you want to use.
    You could always install Windows.

Booting Windows on the Mac

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It may be possible; it really depends on what specific applications they use.

4. itai thread starter macrumors member

I thought about it, but I am not sure that installing Windows will help since for things like VPN installation and corporate email - having a windows installed on the Mac should not make the difference...I am not sure though.

5. simsaladimbamba

What? If you install Windows via Boot Camp, you Mac is just like any other laptop or Windows computer. The hardware is not that different, just customised in some parts.

But again, it depends on what exactly you want to do and to what extent. Maybe speak with your IT department, maybe someone there has experience with Macs.

6. cinca macrumors regular

I would recommend installing Boot Camp for no other reason than knowing you have an emergency backup to fall onto.

In my experience, and without being super technical myself nor spending a huge amount of time searching, there are a wide range of applications and utilities to get max working with most varieties of standard office intranets, VPNs, etc. That being said, if you are technical at all or don't have time or it's just politically not the right thing for you do, it would certainly be helpful to have an IT department that was willing to give you and your situation a little extra attention. Maybe rather than worry about being the only Mac in your office you can approach them and frame it as an opportunity – they might actually be excited to finally get their hands on a Mac and get some experience incorporating it into their office environment. I know from reading posts on Apple websites that many, many employees are requesting Apple products in what have historically been PC only offices.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Depends on the employer. Security regulations at mine say that you can't have a non-corporate owned computer on our network, and we do enforce it strictly.

It opens a whole myriad of software licensing issues also, mixing corporate and personal apps.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ask your IT dept. As opposed to us, they know the answers to your questions!;)

9. wilsonhaven macrumors member

10. jackhdev macrumors 6502

You can partition your Mac and install Windows on it.

If you want to use Mac OS X, then for the most part, yes. You can use email, contacts, calendar, etc. If your company has a network login system, with cooperation from the IT department, you can log in. However, if your company uses applications that are not supported by OS X, you cannot use them. If they are, they will most likely support the files even if they are created on Windows.