Using a Mac Mini on a square display (front row)???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nlivo, Jul 6, 2008.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I am connecting a Mac Mini up to a square display using (i forgot what the actual name of the connection is called) a plug that makes the screen come out of one of those little yellow cords (the ones that are usually accompanied by the red and white cords). Is there anyway you can change the display settings that so when you play rectangular videos (yeah, i'm not good with names) in front row they fill the whole screen??? I know you can change the settings on an appletv so it does this. It doesn't stretch the video, it just expands it out 'til it fills the whole screen. Is this setting possible??? Thanks.

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if you can change the settings, but I think the words you're looking for, are you are connecting the Mini via either S-Video or a standard A/V cable and you want to know if you can make it not stretch the screen when playing standard 4:3 video and not widescreen 16:9 video? :)

3. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to be able to play 16:9 videos on a 4:3 display without stretching them. Just for them to fill the screen. All of this in 'Front Row'. And yes, the connection is using a standard AV cable (i think) using the yellow part of this cord.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

There is no way to fit a 1.78 (16:9) picture into a 1.33 (4:3) frame without modifying it by stretching vertically or cropping off the sides (P&S). Just like you can't put a round peg in a square hole. Also if you are using a single yellow RCA connection for video this is a composite cable and is the lowest quality connection you can get.

5. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I don't mind cropping it. That's what I was saying the appletv does. Yeah, I know it's the lowest possible quality, but that doesn't bother me. Thanks for your help. Is there a setting that can make this happen? So it crops the video?

6. jsklar macrumors member

it depends what you're using to play the video file with...i don't believe front row has an option like that built in, though maybe through some hacking and taking some of the files adn settings from appletv's version of front row it could be done...