Using a mac mini with an LCD tv as monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bodysurfer, Jan 9, 2008.

1. bodysurfer macrumors newbie

Aloha Everybody,

I am older with poor eyesight, and I would like to buy a mac mini and connect it to an LCD tv as the monitor. I'd also like to use the TV as a monitor for viewing DVDs on occasion, too, in my office.

For use as a monitor, my job includes reading and writing tons of texts in .doc or .rtf files, and I'd like to be able to view them as large as 300 or 400%, and I'll be sitting with my eyes about 18" from the monitor. For use watching DVDs, I'll be sitting with my eyes about 7 feet away.

Would it be crazy to buy a 42" LCD TV and try to use it for both uses? Or bigger? Can the mini run such a thing? And if this is not a crazy idea, any suggestions about specs I should be studying, or even brands?

I know so little about the ergonomics of reading screens, and even less about LCD technology, so I will be deeply appreciative of any advice people can give me.

Mahalo!

Jim

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

It can run a 42" TV fine, don't worry. If my iMac G3 can do one, so can a mini.

3. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

wow 42".....thats huge. im not sure how far away you will be sitting from it, but that will work fine i guess.

wish i could get a lcd tv that big for my computer/videos.

good luck

4. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I had issues with my 42" Hitachi Plasma via HDMI, but my 40" Samsung LCD with VGA PC input works perfect.