Using a macbook adapter with a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mauricio13, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mauricio13 macrumors newbie

Can a 65 watts macbook adapter be used with a macbook Pro that uses a 85 watts adapter without harming inn any way the laptop??

2. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

This is a total guess on my part.

I don't see anyway you would damage the Laptop but I can easily see how you could overheat and burn out the power adapter. If your Macbook Pros battery is fully charged I would say it would not hurt the power supply. Based on how hot the 85 watt adapter gets when charging the MBP you will most likely damage the 65 watt adapter with any use longer than a couple of minutes.

I would hope that Apple designed some type of ID system into the power supply so the laptop would not over draw the current rating of the power adapter. Since they look the same for the most part it would be real easy to get them mixed up if you were around other users.

Would be interesting to test. The 65w power supply may be able to charge the MBP if the laptop is not powered up and just plugged in. Apple could have avoided the whole situation by just making one power adapter rated at say 100 watts. Since even the 85 watt adapter gets hot when charging the MBP.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

It'll work, it will just take longer to charge.

My classmate left his MacBook Pro's adapter home one time and I let him borrow my MacBook's adapter.