Using a MacBook Pro as a desktop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by testudoaubreii, Jun 18, 2015.

1. testudoaubreii macrumors member

Hello,

I recently jump the Windows ship and hopped on Apple's by picking up a mid-2014 MacBook Pro, i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 750M 2GB dedicated GPU. I must say it is pretty sweet.

I do a lot of work at home, but once or twice a week I go into the office. I like the idea of having a desktop at home to work on, but the portability of the MacBook. So, I would like to know if I can use the MacBook as a desktop, you know with a keyboard, mouse and external monitors.

Here is a list of concerns/questions that I have: 1. Can I use it with the top down? If so, will it cause any overheating problems?

1. Can I use 2 or 3 external monitors at once?

2. Could I use Bluetooth mouse, keyboard and headphones while the lid is closed?

3. Is there a stand or something I could/should use?

4. Will there be any resolution issues going from Retina Display to 1080x1920?

5. Will battery life suffer from keeping it plugged in mostly all of the time?

6. Will there be an issue with leaving the device on pretty much all of the time, maybe using sleep instead of shutting it down? I mean, the only time I am thinking about shutting it down is when I transfer the device from home to work. or if I bring it somewhere.
    I think that is it. I know that I could build a more powerful desktop, but I wanted this and went with it. I would surely appreciate any advice, suggestions and/or help from anyone who has any experience or anything with this.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

In Order

1. yes
    2. yes (although I would recommend an apple external trackpad for multi touch loveliness)
    3. there are many stands, and many docks. For stands checkout hengedocks, and check out thunderbolt docks for a one cable connection system, yahoo always seems to be cheapest for these (at least in the UK).
    4. I've not had any just resize it to the screen and you should be good to go.
    5. No
    6. Well any computer likes the odd shutdown to keep it running well but if you do it when you take it with you occasionally that should be fine.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

6. You don't need to shut it down for transfer. It can travel just fine in standby. You only really need to restart for updates occasionally. Otherwise mine is either on or in standby. 16 days since last restart currently.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use my rMBP as a desktop.

1. I only use 1 external monitor but as other stated you can add more.
    2. Yes, I use a wireless mouse and have used wireless keyboards in the past
    3. Yes, I use Rain's mStand
    4. I have the default resolution on my laptop display and the native display on my external monitor - if that's what you're asking.
    5. Be sure to take it off the mains from time to time.
    6. My machine (a 2012 rMBP) has been left on extended periods with no issues.

5. testudoaubreii thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear, or read as it were. Thank you all very much for your responses!

Any problems with overheating while the lid is down?

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

it shouldn't be an issue unless you are really stressing the CPU or GPU, the new ones run pretty cool compared to previous generations.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It won't overheat it will just run slower and throttle more. Cooling performance is quite a bit reduced when it is closed but it still mostly enough cooling. The new 15" throttles with the dGPU even open so closing the lid does not help. It is mostly a question of how much does it throttle in the end.

8. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Have you heard of Twelve South Book Arc? What do you think about that?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use it with my 2014 13" rMBP and like it. I keep the MacBook in clamshell mode in the stand placed behind my display and it makes a clean setup.