Using a Macbook Recovery CD instead of Leopard Install CD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cmF, Jan 7, 2009.

1. cmF macrumors member

cmF

Ok, so this is probably a huge no-no but I have to ask. I'm currently on OSX 10.4.11 and I want to make that leap into Leopard but I'm not trying to shell out $130 if I don't have to.

Can I just use my friend's Recovery CD he got in the box with his Leopard Macbook? The specs are slightly different but it's essentially the same thing.

Thanks!

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I don't think so- but I could be wrong.
    Also illegal.:eek:

3. Tosser macrumors 68030

You shouldn't be asking. Instead, go try and you will have your answer :cool:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The answer is no. You will get an error saying "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer," which is a very baffling error indeed if you don't know you're using the wrong disks. Something is wrong with the disks, not your computer! Install disks are only interchangeable between computers of the same model/generation.

5. south8212 macrumors 6502

actually the discs are only to be able to be used with the machine they came with. They are matched up by serial number.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's not universally true. I don't know if this is a new development or something that has now been phased out, but I have certainly run into cases where the disks are interchangeable.

7. south8212 macrumors 6502

with leopard it is most certainly true

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

Thats called Piracy since the copy of OSX is not licensed to you - its licensed to our friend. It also will not work plain and simple.

If you want a good value for OSX, wait a couple of weeks and save up some money for the Mac Box Set (save 40 percent on iLife 09 and iWork 09) for about 4 bucks more.

Link

Or just get Leopard normally. DO NOT STEAL SOFTWARE