Using a MBP screen to play PS3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PierceurNudds, Jan 29, 2009.

1. PierceurNudds macrumors newbie

I was wondering if there was any (cheap) way to play PS3 games on my MBP? Or rather, being able to use my LCD screen instead of my old CRT tv. My Macbook is only a year old. Any info would be great, thanks!

2. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

El Gato's EyeTV will probably support the input. Mine doesn't have HDMI-in, but I'm sure the newer ones do.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yeah EyeTV allows input for playing and recording video, although it's meant to work with television channels rather than video games. While yes, it'd probably work, it won't be as high quality as HDMI video as EyeTV doesn't support it.

There might be something else out there though...

4. PierceurNudds thread starter macrumors newbie

Well any ideas. I checked the price of the ElGato, a little too expensive IMO. Any cheaper solutions?

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The cheaper you go, the crappier it will be.

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You could try a box converter to transfer the video via Firewire. Something like an analog-to-digital converter would work (but then again, this means you're not getting the highest quality possible).

If you want at least decent quality, you're looking $130 minimum. If you want something cheaper than that, it's probably not possible. Laptop displays aren't meant for video in, just video out -- that's why it's expensive.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Any solution that involves bringing the TV signal in and converting it (EyeTV, or Firewire input) will also likely add a bit of lag, which may affect gameplay on something like a PS3.

The short answer is no, this cannot be practically done. The amount of effort required for you to import video in a lag-free way would probably outweigh the cost of buying a small LCD TV.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You can try to get a different revision of the elgato device but anything cheaper will have a much higher response time and will be unusable for gaming. I have the pinnacle HDTV stick and it lags.