Using a microphone with a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kapowaz, Jan 23, 2009.

1. kapowaz macrumors newbie

I'm trying to attach a headset to my mac pro for using with both Skype and other VoIP apps (Teamspeak and Ventrilo, specifically); under both OS X and Windows via Boot Camp. As you may know, the line-in connector for audio on a Mac isn't suitable for connecting most normal PC microphones (and thus, headsets). The technicalities of this escape me, but I've heard a couple of different explanations, including insufficient voltage on the port, and lack of pre-amplification on the input. Either way, the end result is that I can't connect a PC headset.

I don't want to use a USB sound adaptor if I can help it; I've read more than enough bad things about the sound quality from these (hiss, beeping and other interference). What would be ideal is if there were some adaptor that works with a microphone minijack and lets me connect any PC microphone (and thus, headsets). Does anybody have any recommendations for something that would work in this instance?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you actually tried using the line in? I haven't heard anything about that...

Personally, I have one of these, and quite like it. It's USB, so no potential line-in issues.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The bad rep of USB headset crappiness is probably that most have only used the cheap crap.

Try the Beyerdynamic MMX2. It's a 'normal audio' headset, but ships with a USB adapter. It's based on the DT231 which is one of the best budget headphones out there, with the inclusion of a decent Mic to boot. The design may not please the Apple-aesthetes, but as with many things - computers included - the best-working stuff actually tends to be fairly butt ugly. The resin that it's moulded out of, which makes it look especially cheap, does however shrug off impacts better than many of Plantronics' efforts - which tend to fall apart over time.

4. kapowaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. It doesn't work. It would be rather silly to start posting forum messages asking for purchase recommendations without at least trying it, don't you think?

USB devices are a last resort as far as I'm concerned. I'd like suggestions that don't involve USB. Surely there exists such an audio adaptor?

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There are battery boxes. But they'd cost about the same, or more than, a quality USB headset.