Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colourmebad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Just got myself a fully-specced out 13" Macbook Pro retina, which is the smallest Macbook I've ever had, but I'm keen to have the portability that the 13" offers.

I do a fair bit of design though, so it's not ideal on that front, and I'd love to be able to use my old iMac as a monitor for my new Macbook Pro.

A bit of research suggests that this is only possible with thunderbolt equipped iMacs, or is there a workaround? I did find one site that describes using Target Display Mode and the Mini DV port... Can anyone confirm here whether there is definitely a way of doing this?

Many thanks.

colourmebad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Ah, okay, thanks cypriot. Fingers crossed someone will be able to help tomorrow :D

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.
Unfortunately, the 21.5 iMac's from 2010 do not support Target Display Mode. See the Apple Website Support Article Here

Target Display Mode is only supported on 21.5 iMac's from 2011 onwards.

colourmebad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Thanks for this.

I'm still intrigued though, that link suggests that 21.5" macs from 2010 DO support mini displayport to mini displayport.

Unless I misunderstand - mini displayport cables fit thunderbolt interfaces and carry the same data across the right pins..?

Or if I have misunderstood and that's not correct, can I not just run a USB to minidisplayport adaptor from the USB output?

Thanks again.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Thanks for this.

I'm still intrigued though, that link suggests that 21.5" macs from 2010 DO support mini displayport to mini displayport.

Unless I misunderstand - mini displayport cables fit thunderbolt interfaces and carry the same data across the right pins..?

Or if I have misunderstood and that's not correct, can I not just run a USB to minidisplayport adaptor from the USB output?

Thanks again.

Unfortunately the ONLY 2009 & 2010 iMacs that supported Target Display Mode are the 27" models. In short, nope it won't work any way you try to connect using hardware. The only solution is a software solution called ScreenRecycler, you can try it but the performance is reputed to be poor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.