Using a Mifi with a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nathan21585, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Nathan21585 macrumors member

OK not sure if I posted this in the right place but here goes.

I recently purchased a miff from AT&T with the hope to be able to watch the football games at work on Sunday and Monday's. I set it up last Monday and used it for the Patriots and Dolphins game. Now it says I used 3gb of data for the one game which is weird cause I stream baseball games to my iPhone almost every night and don't use that much.

Now what I think might have been the problem is that other programs or the Macbook itself was using data to check for downloads or something. Does anybody have any suggestions how to remedy this problem so we can watch the games?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

The phone stream is optimized for 3G speeds streaming to a small screen which means significantly less data usage. The MBP can handle video of much larger sizes, so I would guess you need to adjust the video quality downward so it doesn't use so much data.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

The length and quality of the stream affects the bandwidth. A 1 minute video on Youtube will use more bandwith than a crappy 240k song that's 3 minutes long.

Using things like Mifis or tethering is bad if you're streaming heavy video; I would highly suggest doing that from a home wifi network (or one that doesn't have a "cap").