Using a monitor/keyboard/mouse with a MBA + PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by palebluedot, Jul 4, 2011.

1. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Do any fellow MR forum members have a suggestion for sharing a keyboard and mouse between a MacBook Air and a desktop (gaming PC)? The monitor will be shared but has inputs on the back so both computers can plug in and the screen can be switched via monitor. Unplugging and plugging in the keyboard and mouse would be a pain on a daily basis for the Air, so a KVM switch without the V would be great. I've seen some KVM switches have input lag anyway, which is a no go for a gaming machine.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

bump with edits. Got the PC built getting the MBA soon. Also using a Logitech mouse and Apple keyboard hooked up to the Windows machine. Only problem is the custom keys dont work in Windows (no drivers) and wont work over synergy with the Mac because it uses special hardware codes on the keyboard (which Synergy wont transfer).

Any thoughts on other options to allow me to keep the keyboard on the PC but also use the Mac specific keys on the Mac? I guess a usb switch is the only way?

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

4. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Do I need to worry about compatibility with a manual switch? Like, would all manual switches work with Windows 7 and OS X Lion? Also do you happen to know if manual switches cause the same type of "input lag" that emulated KVMs do? That can be an issue for me since I play PC FPS games.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

I honestly wouldn't know, sorry. I'd assume if it were a mechanical switch (ie, it doesn't rely on software/firmware to do the switching) you wouldn't have to worry about compatibility or lag. That's purely speculation though and I have no clue about the product I linked or any other ones. Sorry.