Using a netgear router as a repeater on a Time capsule network.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sev, May 2, 2012.

1. sev macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a question which I hope some has had experience of or can answer.

Our ADSL goes through a 2wire router and feeds a Time capsule which then provides the wireless signal for all our apple devices. The 2wire's wireless is turned off so the only wireless signal is the TC. These are located upstairs in the office.

I am looking to buy an apple TV in the future, but at the moment both the online services from my TV and satellite box require ethernet to work optimally.

I have a spare netgear DG834 wireless router and I was wondering how easy it would be to use this as a repeater sitting behind the TV downstairs - talking wirelessly to the TC on the floor above, thus allowing me to use the four ethernet ports on it and as a bonus extend the wireless signal to boot.

Has anyone done this or am I on a losing battle and it would just be easier to find a used airport extreme on the fleabay? Naturally the not spending money part comes into it! :)

Thanks in advance.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

edit:
    disregard my original post content. didn't read you were connecting them wirelessly.

unfortunately there's no real standard for extending wifi networks. if you've currently got apple wifi gear, buy another airport (even an express should be OK, which is what i'm currently doing - AEBS to Express, but an extreme would be better due the dual band support).

if your wifi network is currently netgear, buy another netgear, etc.

trying to extend a wifi network using different brands of gear is potentially troublesome due to the lack of standards for doing this - its vendor specific...

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's what I found when trying to use a top end Draytek...An expensive gigabit router, but the TC didn't like it, the smaller plug in AE works great and is up on the 5GHZ band...I also use the 3.5MM input to take sound into my audio system in the bedroom...Works a treat.

5. sev thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys for all your advice and help.

I think i'll go for an airport express and then I will have no issues :)

many thanks to you all.

6. sev thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys, following on from this, a guy at work is selling a time capsule and an airport express b/g.

I was wondering, on the airport express is the ethernet port just for a router or if I were to extend my TC's network coverage use it to plug the tv into? Failing that would it be just a better option to buy the TC so I have a second one?

many thanks in advance.