Using a new/larger external drive for Time Machine...can I re-use prior name?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Miss Terri, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Miss Terri, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Hi folks,

I have a feeling this info may be here somewhere, but I couldn't turn it up with a search (I did try though). I know there is some "behind the scenes" stuff that goes on with Time Machine, and I'm not sure if it might affect me, hence the question.

Short version of question:
    Can I re-use the name "Time Machine 2" for an external hard drive when I had already used that name for a previous (but now too small) external hard drive on the same computer? For my own mental reasons, being able to re-use the name would make my life easy, but.... I don't want to cause myself any headaches.

More information to put it in context:
    The overall picture is that up till now, I've had a 250GB internal HDD, and two external 500GB backup HDD's. The backup discs were partitioned, with half being used for Time Machine, and half for Super Duper! The first backup HDD had Time Machine 1 and Super Duper 1; the second had Time Machine 2 and Super Duper 2. I am on the road a lot, so would update the "number 1's" before leaving home and leave them in a safe place there; the "number 2's" I carry with me and back up to them on the road (sometimes I'm out for months at a time).

Well, I've now nearly filled up my 250GB internal hard drive. As it happens, I'm at a friend's place, and he was about to toss out TWO 500 GB hard drives. One is a Toshiba I can use as the internal drive in my MBP. So my plan is to end up with this:

1) "new to me" Toshiba 500 GB as internal drive in my computer.

2) Existing 500 GB Firewire drive (that was the two "number 2's") unpartitioned and now used fully for "Super Duper 2" backup.

3) "new to me" 500GB drive in USB 2 case used fully for "Time Machine 2" backup.

Once I get everything backed up and transferred, then I will start updating my machine, which is woefully out of date (running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 :eek:)

I know I can re-use the name "Super Duper 2" for the 500 GB Firewire drive (have already erased and un-partitioned it and re-named it). What I'm not sure about is whether I can re-use the name "Time Machine 2" for the "new to me" 500GB drive in the USB 2 case. Will that confuse Time Machine? Will that mess anything up?

(I had a bad experience back with Leopard and a new Logic board that made me realize Time Machine can work in mysterious ways, although I gather some of that is better with Snow Leopard.)

Summary of question: Can I re-use the name "Time Machine 2" for an external hard drive when I had already used that name for a previous (but now too small) external hard drive on the same computer? For my own mental reasons, being able to re-use the name would make my life easy, but.... I don't want to cause myself any headaches.

Thanks!

PS: This is for my 2010 MBP 13" Core2Duo currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 (but will start updating once the backup situation/new hard drive is sorted out).

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i do not see why you can't name your time machine, "time machine 2" again.

time machine would simply create a new backup database (on the larger hard drive).

3. Miss Terri thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, redAPPLE,

In my mind I could make a case for either way (either why I could or why it might cause trouble), so I appreciate knowing the answer from you. Will make my naming conventions much tidier :)