Using a oki fax as a printer... possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by indycling, Mar 7, 2009.

1. indycling macrumors newbie

Hi

I want to use an old okifax plain paper fax (5680) as a printer... the only input is the phone jack... to clarify I do not want to use it as a fax just a printer... I have my emac wirelessly connected to our ADSL2 modem so the 56k modem on the computer is free... Is it possible to connect the emac to the fax via the emac's 56k modem line directly to the fax and presumably using some fax software "print" documents off my computer?

Thanks in advance for your input / ideas.

Andrew

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. indycling thread starter macrumors newbie

--- To clarify --- I don't want nor need the fax function --- I just want to use the OKI fax as a printer but it only has the phone line in connection... can I go from the emacs modem direct to the fax?

TA!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Print to fax ... see what happens.

Might or might not need a live voltage/tone on the phone line. Sometimes the two direct connections of devices will work with a dead line, sometimes the two devices need a phone line emulator in the middle if they both check for voltage and tone on the line.

If they need an emulator, checking out a $59-79 ethernet laser printer might be in order.

5. indycling thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Sun Baked and Blue R' --- I'm guessing now BR was perhaps pointing in the same direction as SB... Have given it a try using both Tone and pluse options with and without a number with the "wait for dialtone" switched off... no luck... will look for a phone emulator... I have a cheap cannon printer i occasionally plug in... last ink cartridge cost $40 (AUD) which is 40 times more than the OKIFAX cost ... i see cheap toner carts online thought it might be a cheap B&W printer!

Thanks again for the time and ideas!