Using a PAYG sim in a Prepay iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shuffles, Nov 13, 2008.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

I bought an 8GB iPhone about 2 months ago. I originally wanted to buy the pay as you go version but when I asked the guy in the O2 store if they would be getting them in he said that the iPhone would only ever be sold on prepay. Low and behold it has now come out on PAYG.

My question is.... I have a business phone already so in trying to keep my iPhone bills at a bare minimum i went into O2 yesterday and got a PAYG sim for free and put it into my iPhone. It worked perfectly... obviously because its on the same network, but i've started noticing that my credit is dropping dramatically even though i haven't used it yet. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I know that O2 are advertising the PAYG iPhone saying that you get 12 months free wifi so is that the reason the credit is dropping. The phone is connected to my wifi so all i can fathom is that that is the reason for it.

Also, I got the 8GB black version....I wanted to get the white one but they said that it wouldn't be in the shops for ages because it was sold out so I just settled with the black version. Now that it is in stock I'd like to change to the white version. Is this possible??? I'd even pay the difference between the two.

If that is the reason for the credit dropping I think I'll just put back in the Prepay sim card and buy text bundles online from O2 instead.

By the way, I'm from Ireland if that helps.

2. jayenh macrumors 6502

the reason it's dropping without use is probably data (when out of your wifi range). you'll probably want to stop this by going in to settings > general > network > cellular data and editing the APN, like add a random character after ".co.uk" like ".co.uk2" or something.

i went the opposite way to you, i had a contract with o2, but it didnt end until sept next year. when the payg iphone came out i went ahead and bought one, then had my existing contract converted to an iphone tariff. this could only happen at the end of a billing month for me so for about 2 weeks i didn't have unlimited data. i just disabled it until i could use it by editing the APN. watch out when you restart the phone though, it sets it back again.

alternitively you could try and get an iphone payg sim, this has the unlimited data for the first year, but i dont think you can get one without buying the payg iphone.

as for the swap, i cant see them doing that.

3. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

EVen if I payed the difference between the two??? Its not as if i went into the store, looked at the white one and black one and chose the black version. They didn't have the white one in stock so I could only settle for the black one. Now that its out, surely they could allow me to get that one. After all, I still have an 18 month contract with them so I don't see why not!

4. jayenh macrumors 6502

their argument will be that you had a choice, you could have waited for the white version, instead you compromised and took the black version. i've never seen a shop swap a used product for a new one purely because the user didn't like the colour. maybe within the 7 days "no questions asked" returns period, but not after 2 months.

5. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Yeah thats true. I'll just have to monitor my spending and buy txt bundles. I suppose if I do it that way it will effectively be an PAYG iPhone with the added bonus of free wifi and a lot of 3G data per month.

Thanks for the response, it was really helpful,

Shuffles.