Using a popular domain name with added words? Turns out it's a no no

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by SchneiderMan, May 8, 2010.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Is it ok to use a popular domain name and add to it a word or letter after the name? I really don't know if that's ok or legal? Let's say for example Macrumors.com, is it ok to have Macrumorss.com?

I have something in mind that is available and would be worth a lot :) I would tell you but I cannot trust you haha

2. awmazz macrumors 65816

I can't see why not, like I could register gadgetmacs.com. ;) Or even just gadgetmac.net if you don't already have it. A lot of sites are also registered for mispellings of names too to try and grab people who can't spell the name of the site they're looking for, eg gadjetmac.com.

Here's a real example - http://dizneyland.com/

Different situation in Australia from the .com free-for-all where a .com.au domain requires an actual registered business. Even if your own name is Ford you can't get ford.com.au or even fords.com.au, which only a company called Ford can get.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is certainly a difference between adding a single letter and adding words. I'd view adding a single letter or going for common mis-spellings as pretty sleazy.

4. Theappmachine macrumors member

Theappmachine

I don't think that to register mispelled domain is illegal... I can have a lot of reasons to register www.applea/b/c/d/e/.com

5. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Yup, sleazy but legal and done all the time by domain squatters.

It may not be legal if you mimic the original site's design -- at the very least a copyright violation; and I assume there's something worse they could get you for if you're attempting to impersonate them.

6. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

That's what I thought. I'm sure it can get sleazy haha but I have no bad intentions.. Just a fan who thinks it would be cool.. If I go ahead and buy it I'll let you know. Thank guys.

Edit: w00t! Bought Engadgete.com :D I doubt I'll do anything with it though.
    Could be the French version of Engadget.com haha

7. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Oh come on guys I just got an email from Engadget's Joshua Topolsky:

"Unfortunately, that would be in violation of Engadget's (and AOL's) copyright.

I would strongly suggest that you do not use that domain for a site, and in fact, if you have registered the domain, you will have to turn it over to AOL.

Joshua Topolsky
    Editor-in-chief, Engadget"

8. awmazz macrumors 65816

Gee, that was quick. How did they even know you registered it? It seems Splitpea was on the money then as to your actually being able to use it without infringing on their copyright trademark. I was thinking purely about just being able to register it as opposed to actually using it, sorry.

9. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Well a day before buying the domain I sent Joshua an email syaing if it would be ok to buy that domain and I did not get an email back so a day later (yesterday) I purchased Engadgete.com and today I got the email from him.
    I was not planing on using it for a site but just to own it.. Currently it's forwarding to my personal site.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I think he meant trademark, since the cybersquatting protection act prohibits sites names that are too similar to those.

"Engadget" is (or should be) a trademarked name. If it's not, they can't stop you.

11. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Thanks. Is it registered http://www.trademarkia.com/engadget-77027957.html

Oh well. btw using the word mac is ok correct?

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...why are you asking here? If you really care, consult a lawyer.

14. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I wanted to make sure. I don't want to cause problems. I just now changed the forwarding to Engadget. They should thank me, I purchased them a good domain :)