Using a PowerPC G4 as a second monitor

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by koen010, Aug 14, 2010.

1. koen010 macrumors newbie

Hello Guys,

I have got a question:
    I have got the 700 MHZ PowerPC G4 15'' iMac (Cube), and also the 21.5'' iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 duo etc..
    I only use the 21.5'' Mac, because it's just much more better, that's why the G4 is actually just useless..
    But I don't want the G4 to full my nice space on my desk, that's why I have got the question, is it possible to use the G4 as a second Monitor for my 21.5 iMac?
    I know it has something to do with 'outputs' and stuff, but I don't really get that.

I would appreciate any help..

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) It's either an iMac or a Cube. It can't be both

2) If it's a G4 iMac (not a Cube) then no: it does not have video input.

3. koen010 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's the G4 iMac with the flat panel.., but as you said in your '1' it's impossible to connect the G4 to the 21.5'' as a second monitor..

4. koen010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much, d88co88.
    But I don't really understand it, maybe you could give me some advice..
    I installed 'ScreenRecycler' on my 21.5'' Mac successfully, but when I try to open 'JollysFastVNC' on my G4 I just get the icon of JollysFastVNC bouncing and after that disapearing in the dock..
    Another question, how get my 21.5'' and G4 iMac get connected with eachother?
    If it's with a network it won't work I guess because I'm using Wireless internet with my 21.5'' Mac and not with my G4 because it doesn't has an Airport Card..

I don't know if I have the permission to ask this question on MacRumors, otherwise a pm from anyone would be great:D

5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Check the website, they have a video and a help section. You can connect them with an ethernet cable, it doesn't matter that your intel iMac uses wireless to connect to the internet.

6. koen010 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already did that very precisely before I opened this thread, but I can still find no answers on my questions there.
    But the main point is that JollysFastVNC just bounces and disapeares in 5 second on my G4..

btw thanks for your reaction:)

7. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

Download an earlier version from their website, that might help.

8. koen010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late reaction, but unfortunately the 1.10 version of JollyFastVNC also won't start, but I guess I see right now the problem, you need a 10.4, or higher version of Mac OS X, and I have got the 10.2.8 version of Mac OS X:mad:
    But maybe there are other VNC servers for the 10.2.8 version?
    Otherwise I should upgrade the system, but I don't know if that's possible..

9. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

You can upgrade it to leopard if you buy the disk on eBay.

10. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you overclock it to 867MHz and insert at least 512MB RAM, yes. If you not, it'll only run up to Tiger.

And an iMac is no Cube. A cube is a PowerMac, it's like a MacMini:
    [​IMG]

What you have is a plain ol' iMac G4:
    [​IMG]
    Looks more hemispherical than Cubic to me.

I guess Chicken of the VNC 1.3 runs on Jaguar. Mac OS X comes with a VNC-viewer though, just enter vnc://<IP or Name of the machine> into Safari.