Using a public scanner

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 3lite, Oct 1, 2013.

1. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Is it safe? Say if I hooked up my laptop to a public scanner, scan at a Kinkos, school scanner, etc.

Is there a way for anyone to access what I scanned? Cause I have to scan some pretty important documents that only my eyes can see.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some scanners have a memory buffer, so you may want to be careful about scanning sensitive documents on a public scanner.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't hookup my computer to a public scanner. I would use a flash drive instead.

4. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

Does what you scan be viewed by someone else if you use a flash drive?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't know. I wouldn't risk getting something on my laptop by hooking it up with a public scanner.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Unless you are a terrorist, spy or have documents worth millions. I highly doubt someone is lurking about, watching your every move and going to go through the effort required to retrieve data from the memory buffer of a scanner. Plus you could scan a couple pages of nonsense afterwards and fill the buffer.

That's some serious data retrieval. It would take someone who really knows their ****** when it comes to data recovery.

Sure it's possible. The scanner could be rigged or some other nefarious circumstances occur. You could also get struck by a meteor or mauled by a Bengal Tiger when you step outside. It's just extremely unlikely.

Odds are vastly higher that someone would mug you on the way to or from one of those places and steal whatever is on you. Another much more likely occurrence is absentmindedly leaving the documents in the scanner or some other public place.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

^^^This.

Relax..there's scanners in almost every office store in the world.

8. kggf macrumors newbie

I would have thought that the scanner unit itself would not have the capacity to store anything It would just send the scanned image down the USB line live to the PC, its the computer that stories the image in a buffer as sorts. Now if you are using the scanner attached to a public computer, then that is a risk. But the scanner itself should be okay. However if its a printer scanner, then it might store something in a buffer for direct printing.