Using a real amplifier with GarageBand?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Grimsrud, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Grimsrud macrumors member

I recently bought a Monster iStudio Link so I could connect my electric guitar to my 13" MacBook Pro (Latest model) and take advantage of GarageBand, but I'm wondering if I can use a real amplifier to get a richer sound instead of a pre-amp. My amplifier is a Fender Champion 110, and it has two output ports on it. The first is a external speaker port, and the second is a headphone port. I've read elsewhere that the external speaker port could cause severe damage to my MacBook's sound card and that you're supposed to use a line-out port instead. I'm guessing that my headphone jack on my amplifier will work just fine as a line-out since I've used my 1/4" to 1/8" converter plug to connect regular stereo headphones in the past without any problems, but I just want to be absolutely positive before I go ahead and do it.

Here's a picture of my amplifier (Dunno, may be helpful):
    [​IMG]

2. Grimsrud thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind, I just found this thread after doing a bit of searching. I have a 75W amp, and I don't want to take any risks blowing out my soundcard. I'm just going to get myself a cheap preamp.