Using a restore disc for other Mac Machine...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DJAznSensation, Apr 17, 2008.

1. DJAznSensation macrumors member

DJAznSensation

:apple: I have a bet with a friend of mine who recently purchased a Black MacBook from eBay.... which currently runs on OS X Tiger (not new Leopard)

he wants me to let him use the my MacBook Pro Mac OS X Install Discs so he too can have Leopard.

I say that its not gonna work because my disc is meant for my MacBook Pro and plus Apple is too smart of a company to let it be that easy...

whose right?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The Restore disks are likely still tied to Model Identifier... or a range of them.

Look Under :apple:/About This Mac/More Info .../Hardware

Likely the older machine will not work with that set of DVDs, though any machine with Apple set up to work with those Restore DVDs will.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It has to be like for like. Two MBP's of the same exact model can use the same disc, though it's against the EULA.

So in other words you can't even use the install discs from the last version of the MBP with the current version of the MBP (it won't install) so there's no way you can share the same disc from a MBP to a Macbook so you (The OP) are right and your friend is wrong if he believes otherwise.

4. BlackThunder macrumors member

Worth a shot... but I would stick with the retail.. me and 2 of my friends all chipped in and got a retail copy. (still illegal and inexcusable I know but we're poor)

5. squaros macrumors member

squaros

Is the same true for backwards compatibility? Could I use my penryn install discs to restore a merom machine?