Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timjgco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
I've used a Samsung CLP-315W successfully both wireless and wired via an Airpot Extreme Base Station an a Mini and MacBook. I recently switched to a non-Apple modem router and cannot get the printer connected either wireless or direct ethernet connect. I can connect to my Mac with USB but at least I need to connect via ethernet to share. Every attempt I've tried, I cannot see the printer on the network. Do I need to clear network configuration on the printer? If so, how? Is there something else I should do? I'm at a loss...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you print out the printer's network configuration page?
You should be able to do that from the user panel on the printer.
That will list what IP address you have set up for the printer, and you may find out that the new router is using a different IP range. That would prevent a network connection until you change the printer's IP address to one within the required range.

timjgco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Can you print out the printer's network configuration page?
You should be able to do that from the user panel on the printer.
That will list what IP address you have set up for the printer, and you may find out that the new router is using a different IP range. That would prevent a network connection until you change the printer's IP address to one within the required range.

Thanks - I have the network configuration page from the printer. When I try to connect it wireless (first via a direct USB connection) it is not located by the Mac. Any advice?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is the IP address set on the printer (that's listed on your network configuration page) within the range configured on your router?

timjgco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
IP set on the printer is 10.0.1.50 and the router is 10.0.0.1 (local IP [IPv4]) and DHCP Server range is 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.253

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That's it, then.
Change the printer's IP setting to something within the DHCP server range, and it should connect then.
I suppose it has both an ethernet connection, and Wifi.
Each would usually have individual IP address set up.
Or, there may be a printer setting to use whatever the DHCP server provides. I don't know how to change the settings, but, again, that should be on the printer's control panel.

timjgco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Unfortunately therein lies the problem. I cannot get to any settings on the printer to change the network settings. I've trued the Easy Wireless setting program from Samsung but fails and the Samsung printer driver program from Samsung installs a driver but there's still no way to connect other than via USB. And when I connect that way, it still won't let me access any network settings on the printer.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah, OK. I see there is no hardware access to the settings. You have to connect to the web portal for the printer.
This page may help:
https://medium.com/@jonlau/configure-samsung-clp-315w-2905ebd4c3f

I guess you would use the IP address that you showed in your post #5, so use 10.0.1.50, from your web browser. You would need to have an ethernet cable connected directly from your Mac to the printer. Connecting to your router MIGHT not let you connect to the printer, so be sure to connect ethernet directly from Mac to the printer ethernet port.
When you get the internal IP address changed to something within the router's IP range, then you will be able to connect to the router

timjgco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
I'm using the current Mac Mini. I believe I already tried connecting via the ethernet port on the Mini but not sure it was connecting. That port can be used for this, correct?

Will the web browser open the page for 10.0.1.50 only when the printer is connected? I have tried without and the page times out.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I'm using the current Mac Mini. I believe I already tried connecting via the ethernet port on the Mini but not sure it was connecting. That port can be used for this, correct?

Will the web browser open the page for 10.0.1.50 only when the printer is connected? I have tried without and the page times out.
Yes, and also, yes - the printer has to be connected. The 10.0.1.50 is the address that is (currently) assigned in the printer settings. By connecting an ethernet cable directly from your mini to the printer, that address should connect you to the printer's configuration page. It's NOT on the internet, but is programmed into the printer. The browser can't possibly connect to the printer, if it is not connected to your Mac. The IP address tells your computer where to look for that connection.
Remember, for this setting change, you are NOT connected to your internet connection, but direct connection to your printer. That should work.

timjgco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Well, tried Safari, Chrome & FireFox all to no avail:

The connection has timed out

The server at 10.0.1.50 is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you use proxy server settings to get on your network? You would need to make sure about that, and turn the proxy server OFF while you try to change the network settings on your printer. (Network pref pane, Advanced settings, Proxy tab, make sure nothing is checked)
1. Turn the printer power off, then back on. Double check that you are NOT connected to your router (turn the router OFF so you have no WiFI signal, or turn the wifi off on your Mac.), and directly connected from printer to your Mac.
2. Restart your Mac.
3. Try the IP address in your web browser again.

timjgco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
No proxy server setting checked, printer power cycled, wifi turned off on Mac, Mac restarted, 10.0.1.50 won't load because not connected to the Internet.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
But, you can connect to internet by plugging ethernet in to your router from your Mac? Leave Wifi off for now, just the router power on. You want to double-check that your ethernet still connects to the internet.
I'm grabbing at straws, at the moment: change the router's DHCP server settings to expand the range to include your printer:
You would connect to the router configuration page (whatever method giving your router settings), and change the DHCP range max 10.0.0.253 - to 10.0.1.51 (so would include the actual address of the printer within the router's DHCP range.
Save the settings (the router would likely need to be restarted, and I would restart the router anyway)
You should easily get to your printer's setting pages, but then there wouldn't be much need, as it will be on the network already (because you just changed your router to allow the printer on the network!)

timjgco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
The challenge is the IP assigned to the modem/router from Comcast is 10.0.0.1 and I just checked whether changing it I would either cause service disruption or it would be reset automatically.

Two things they did suggest were to connect the Base Station in the modem router and see if the printer will connect. I tried that but the indicator light on the base station never changes to green so I'm doing something wrong or it won't connect. Any thoughts?

The other suggestion is to change the SSID on the Comcast modem/router to what is showing on the printer network configuration report and there's change that as long as the password is the same (which it is) it may connect. Thoughts on that method?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The challenge is the IP assigned to the modem/router from Comcast is 10.0.0.1 and I just checked whether changing it I would either cause service disruption or it would be reset automatically.

Two things they did suggest were to connect the Base Station in the modem router and see if the printer will connect. I tried that but the indicator light on the base station never changes to green so I'm doing something wrong or it won't connect. Any thoughts?

The other suggestion is to change the SSID on the Comcast modem/router to what is showing on the printer network configuration report and there's change that as long as the password is the same (which it is) it may connect. Thoughts on that method?
No, the 10.0.0.1 address is the router's IP address - the address that the modem uses to communicate to the router.
Comcast does NOT assign that 10.0.0.1 address. You should be able to change THAT in the router settings.
And, that's in the same range as the DHCP server (10.0.x.x). You want to find out how to change the DHCP server range, which is currently set for 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.253
Looks like you have to add a second range (10.0.1.0 to 10.0.1.254)

But, I think that's a lot of needless effort, when you should be able to directly connect to the printer, and change the settings through the printer's configuration page - so the printer has an assigned address within the range of the DHCP server.
And, you shouldn't even need to do that, assuming that the printer has a setting that will allow the router to set an address automatically through the DHCP server, for the printer, and NOT use a static IP address for the printer. And, that would be all you need to do, the router would take care of that for you.

If you can't figure out how to connect directly to the printer, maybe you could contact Comcast. I know that will depend on the local Comcast support, but if you are using Comcast's provided router, maybe they can help you with the configuration of a device that you need to connect to their router. I have sometimes been successful with the local Comcast techs, but I know different Comcast regions don't always help with third party devices. Good luck!

timjgco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
I powered the base station up this afternoon, started the printer, selected the previous network and was able to get to 10.0.1.50 which is the Samsung Sync Thru Web service which has the printer settings. I tried to change the Machine IP but the page would not save and then I couldn't return to the page...thought I was making progress.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Have you tried restarting the printer, then check to see if the setting changed (despite the fact that you appeared to be unable to save through the web page)?

timjgco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Have you tried restarting the printer, then check to see if the setting changed (despite the fact that you appeared to be unable to save through the web page)?

I think I did yesterday but regardless, I had shut the printer off last night and today I powered it on, and printed the network config sheet and the change I made to the static IP from 10.0.1.50 to 10.0.0.21 took however I didn't change the SSID so the setting is for the wifi network on the base station. The modem/router from Comcast has a different SSID but the same password so I believe I could just change the current wifi SSID to the previous and then should be able to connect. Does that sound reasonable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.