Using a second iMac as a second display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bob99, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bob99 macrumors member

I just bought a new 27" iMac, and I'm looking to get a second display for it. I was considering the cinema display, but I thought it might make more sense to get a second refurbished iMac and use it instead, since the panels are identical.

I know that the second iMac can be used in target display mode, as long as I've got a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable.

Has anyone done this? When the second iMac is being used in target monitor mode, can I control it through Apple Remote Desktop and use the processor to encode videos or some other activity? Can I access the hard drive through the network?

Is there a way to make sure iMac#2 always stays in Target display mode? It would be slightly annoying to have to re-connect the cable every time I use the computer (though I suppose the command+f2 key combo isn't that annoying)

Right now the (Canadian) price for a refurb 27" iMac is 1049, and the price for a new cinema display is $1099. If this can work at all, it seems to make sense to do it.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

What's the price there of a refurbished Cinema Display? Should compare like to like. Also factor in you can cover the Cinema Display with the iMac's warranty, should you get 3 year AppleCare. The second iMac would require an additional warranty.

What makes the iMac so appealing is you are probably looking at the 2009 model. Frankly I think the trouble of dealing with the target display mode, and the extra power consumption wouldn't make it a good choice.