Using a skin with a folio

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by sorsha, May 20, 2010.

1. sorsha macrumors newbie

I know for sure I want to have a folio case for my iPad, but I'm starting to get concerned that a folio won't provide very good impact protection for the edges and corners of the iPad. I don't generally go around dropping my electronics, but accidents happen!

So I'm thinking maybe I should get a thin protective skin to put on the iPad, in addition to the folio. Not too concerned about scratches (after all, it'll be protected by the folio), but do want impact protection along the edges.

I would also want it to be as lightweight as possible. And of course have usable access to all buttons and ports.

Is there a good skin out there that would work for this? Most of the ones I've looked at seem to be either quite heavy (I don't really want to add another 3/4 of a pound to the weight on top of the folio), have complaints about fit, material quality, etc., and/or are only for scratch protection (in the case of the lightweight ones).

2. Smacky macrumors 6502

Skins dont protect against drops, only scratches

3. sorsha thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm using the wrong word, then. I mean the thin cases/shells/?? that cover the back and sides and are made out of TPU or silicone, which seem to be at least partly designed for impact protection.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I doubt all TPU/Silicone shells will fit in all folio style cases.

Your best bet would be to get something like the Switcheasy Nude and the Incase Convertible Book Jacket - seems to me that they would fit.

The thicker you go on the shell, the tougher it will be to find a conforming folio.

5. Macdicted macrumors regular

Well I have a Belkin Grip Vue and a Griffin Elan. Works but not ideally . It is easy enough to get in and out of the Elan just doesn't line up real well when closed. I suppose over time that will change as the leather tabs on the corners stretches but I'm now looking at another product for myself.

I really love the form and fit of the Grip Vue , although its way over priced :mad: However I love the looks of the Vaja Retro Slim jacket. It's not a folio like you mentioned but a beautiful pouch made of high quality leather. With magnetic clousure. Many color choices and till the end of June they have a discount of 15% to make it $102 .

Just something else you may or may not want to consider.....

Good luck !

6. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

IMO, If you want a skin put a bestskinsever or equivalent on it. Then you can put on whatever case you want...