Using a smart TV for a moniter

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jas600, Jul 6, 2014.

1. jas600 macrumors newbie

I have Samsung 50 inch smart TV and want to use it for a monitor with my desk top 10.7.5 mac osx lion.. Can I do this wireless or wired and how do I go about it ??

jas600

2. simsaladimbamba

You can do that via Mini DisplayPort to HDMI or one of the many wireless receivers like the Apple TV (Mirror Display), but know, that 1080p at 50" make reading text or similar small objects quite a blurry experience, since the pixels are bigger than on a 21.5" iMac for example.

3. jas600 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried a hdmi to the lighting port And the only thing that showed on the TV was the background display on the computer screen there was other things on the computer screen but not on the TV. Is there something you have to do on the computer to make this happen ? The reason for doing this is to stream movies and other stream broadcasts... jas600

4. simsaladimbamba

You meant THUNDERBOLT, not Lightning (which is the port on the iPhone 5 and newer and iPad mini and iPad 4 and newer).
    It worked, but Mac OS X treated that TV as extended display.
    Either you mirror your internal display to the external display, or you simply drag a window with the video content from the internal to the external display like you would with any window when dragging it around the internal display.

System Preferences > Displays >> Arrangement >>> Mirror Displays (but know, that the display with the lowest resolution determines the maximum resolution used on both, thus one display will have a lower than native resolution, except when both displays have the same native resolution)
    [​IMG]

5. jas600 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I go to display ,all I have is display & color no arrangement box

6. simsaladimbamba

To be clear, the ARRANGEMENT tab only shows up, when more than one display is detected, thus your TV should be connected to see that tab. Is your TV connected and you see the Mac OS X background desktop image on it?

7. jas600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Checking computer and found that it has only one display ...

8. simsaladimbamba

I am not sure, I understand. You have your Mac running, the TV connected via the MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter using the iMac's Thunderbolt port and the TV's HDMI port?
    And do you see that background image on the TV or not?

Or do you mean something else entirely?

9. jas600 thread starter macrumors newbie

No image at all on the TV screen .. Black with a box saying check your connection.The connection is ok

10. simsaladimbamba

That is really strange, as it worked before according to your original post, seeing that background image on your TV and all.
    Is it still the same HDMI input channel?
    Maybe try a restart of your Mac.
    Are the connections still tight and not loose, meaning the MDP to HDMI cable?

11. jas600 thread starter macrumors newbie

All connections are tight and yes I got a picture of sort on the TV ( couldn't make out ) .. Now when I tried it, the screen was black with the box saying check connections. I will be leaving soon and will check back tomarrow.. jas600