General Using a spare iOS device as an Apple TV

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nobita, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

I have an iPod touch 4th Gen lying around. I want to make it like an Apple TV (stream into it). I have a 30-pin to VGA adapter connected to my TV. Does anyone know what I have to do (or if it's even possible) to make something like this work?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you added in an Airport Express I guess you could stream via that, but with the ATV so cheap....You might be better of grabbing one...Apple re-furbs are also available.

3. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was thinking that too. But I'm very low on budget that if I'd have to whip out $99 bucks I'd rather watch my tv shows on my cheap dell screen as I always do. Thanks for your advice.

4. NestOfRobins macrumors member

My son recently upgraded his Touch 3G for a 5G and I decided to use the old 3G as a video player, especially since we have the 30pin to HDMI and 30pin to composite cables.

I jailbroke the 3G and installed VLC for watching when we are travelling. I will simply load the movies onto the device for when we are not at home.

I also installed XBMC for when we are home and have access to the WiFi so we can watch movies stored on the network.

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

AirPlay won't work; everything else (SMB, UPnP etc.) will, assuming you use the right player. As you already jailbreak, XBMC will be one of the best choices for streaming targets - and it also supports TV out via HDMI / VGA.

Please check out my streaming- and XBMC-dedicated articles (all here at MR) for more info.

6. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I've been using Air Video. The only problem that I don't like is I've got to get up the couch to choose which movie to watch next. I was thinking I could have somehow route AirPlay to my iPod so I don't have to get up the couch.

Thanks for the help anyway, I know this is just me trying to avoid getting up from my couch, but thanks.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You would still need a cable for sound since you are going the VGA route.
    I think is better if you just take your laptop and your VGA cable and mirror the screen on the tv instead

8. jinx1000 macrumors member

Streamtome allows you to control the currently playing video player remotely. Pause fast forward, etc.

You could use veency (on cydia) and a vnc app to launch the next video.

I think this would work and be controllable from another Idevice on your couch.

----------

Or you could use airserver (on cydia) to stream to the device connected to your tv. Probably easier.

9. nickharris1992 macrumors member

nickharris1992

You can do all of what you just said without jailbreaking it. I take all of my movies and run them through a product called Episode. Then put them on my in my dropbox. It will cost you a bit but it is a much simpler solution. I dont like to deal with VLC because if something goes wrong there is no VLC Customer service. Just my 2¢