Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamJohnG

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2019
Malaga, Spain
Hello
I am looking to install an SSD using the combined adaptor and cable. Once installed I was planning on formatting them with my 1TB HDD as a mac fusion drive. has anyone done this?
I was leaning toward the Kingston A1000 or KC1000. Does anyone know if in real world terms I will get any extra performance from the KC1000?

Can you explain what 'combined adaptor and cable' you mean? This is for a Mini 2014?

Personally I would not go down the Fusion Drive route at all. Get a reasonable size (minimum 256GB) NVMe and make it your main boot disk, and then use the installed HHD/SSD as a secondary drive.

Then you will notice a very significant speed difference, specially if coming from a built in 500GB/1TB HDD

azreal1983

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
Can you explain what 'combined adaptor and cable' you mean? This is for a Mini 2014?

Personally I would not go down the Fusion Drive route at all. Get a reasonable size (minimum 256GB) NVMe and make it your main boot disk, and then use the installed HHD/SSD as a secondary drive.

Then you will notice a very significant speed difference, specially if coming from a built in 500GB/1TB HDD

https://www.xt-xinte.com/XT-XINTE-P...-Mini-A1347-MEGEN2-MEGEM2-MEGEQ2-p556999.html

This is the combined thing I mentioned.

The reason for going fusion is this will by my wifes PC and its easier for her not to have to worry where she puts her files. She currently has used about 300GB and don't want to splash out on a 1TB SSD

AdamJohnG

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2019
Malaga, Spain
https://www.xt-xinte.com/XT-XINTE-P...-Mini-A1347-MEGEN2-MEGEM2-MEGEQ2-p556999.html

This is the combined thing I mentioned.

The reason for going fusion is this will by my wifes PC and its easier for her not to have to worry where she puts her files. She currently has used about 300GB and don't want to splash out on a 1TB SSD

Okay,

That is the same connector I am using, works fine, though not really a cable. But I can say that it is working great for me.

I just feel that Fusion Drives are on the way out, not much point to them now with the price of SSD and we could find Apple dropping them someday.

I am not sure where you are and hence where you would be shopping from, but the Sabrent NVMe that I have and that is working just fine so far, in Amazon.com is $40 for 256 and $60 for 512 A small extra cost, but could give a significant leash of life to that Mac mini 2014 - even the 1TB is no more than $110 now.
[doublepost=1567097043][/doublepost]BTW, do make sure that your Mac mini is fully updated to the latest Mojave. before you install

azreal1983

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
Okay,

That is the same connector I am using, works fine, though not really a cable. But I can say that it is working great for me.

I just feel that Fusion Drives are on the way out, not much point to them now with the price of SSD and we could find Apple dropping them someday.

I am not sure where you are and hence where you would be shopping from, but the Sabrent NVMe that I have and that is working just fine so far, in Amazon.com is $40 for 256 and $60 for 512 A small extra cost, but could give a significant leash of life to that Mac mini 2014 - even the 1TB is no more than $110 now.
[doublepost=1567097043][/doublepost]BTW, do make sure that your Mac mini is fully updated to the latest Mojave. before you install

I have found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR

is that the same as yours? might go for this one then

Reactions: dabotsonline

azreal1983

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
I have the 512GB version

Great - Amazon deleivered!!! Just need to wait for the other parts form China.
Question: did you need to do anything with formating to 4k blocks etc

My plan is to remove the base, install the connector and rocket drive. - then rebuild and boot.

Once booted use disk utlity to format etc the drive. then install mojave and migrate all data using migration assistant.

Is that the best way?

AdamJohnG

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2019
Malaga, Spain
Lets hope eBay/China do not keep you waiting too long!

That sounds right. I had no issues and nothing special to do related to the 4k blocks.

It just 'worked' with no issues.

You are not going to do a Fusion Drive, I hope?

You can use the internal HDD for extra storage, or do a regular mirror image copy and you can always boot from the HDD if needed.

mvita

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2015
New Smyrna Beach, FL
I just wanted to add that based largely on the very helpful information in this thread, I had a very positive experience adding an NVMe SSD to my stock late 2014 Mac mini. The only parts I needed were:
  1. The "XT-XINTE PCI-E x4 x2 M.2 NGFF M-Key NVME AHCI SSD Converter Card Adapter" part mentioned earlier in this thread. Cost about $10 shipped, directly from the manufacturer's website (link).
  2. The Sabrent 512GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD (SB-ROCKET-512). Cost $60 from Amazon (link).
Installation couldn't have been easier. You just mount the SSD onto the XT-XINTE adapter, and secure it using a screw included with the adapter. To install, all you have to do is remove the plastic cover and antenna plate on the bottom of the Mini (need the proper T6 screwdriver, natch). There's an adhesive strip on the adapter; you peel the strip covering off, then just attach the adapter to the SSD connector on the Mini, and press down gently to adhere the adhesive strip. Then close the Mini back up, and boom, SSD installed.

The beauty part is, you can leave the original HDD in there, and use it as a data drive, alternative boot drive, Time Machine drive, or whatever.

As for performance, using the Blackmagic test, I am getting about 740 MB/s with the SSD, compared to ~95 MB/sec with the stock 1TB HDD.

AdamJohnG

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2019
Malaga, Spain
That is exactly the same change I have done, although I had already swapped the 1TB HDD for a 256GB SSD.

But it is a big advantage having the two separate SSD's and this NVMe is just so easy to fit in.

Adam

I just wanted to add that based largely on the very helpful information in this thread, I had a very positive experience adding an NVMe SSD to my stock late 2014 Mac mini. The only parts I needed were:
  1. The "XT-XINTE PCI-E x4 x2 M.2 NGFF M-Key NVME AHCI SSD Converter Card Adapter" part mentioned earlier in this thread. Cost about $10 shipped, directly from the manufacturer's website (link).
  2. The Sabrent 512GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD (SB-ROCKET-512). Cost $60 from Amazon (link).
Installation couldn't have been easier. You just mount the SSD onto the XT-XINTE adapter, and secure it using a screw included with the adapter. To install, all you have to do is remove the plastic cover and antenna plate on the bottom of the Mini (need the proper T6 screwdriver, natch). There's an adhesive strip on the adapter; you peel the strip covering off, then just attach the adapter to the SSD connector on the Mini, and press down gently to adhere the adhesive strip. Then close the Mini back up, and boom, SSD installed.

The beauty part is, you can leave the original HDD in there, and use it as a data drive, alternative boot drive, Time Machine drive, or whatever.

As for performance, using the Blackmagic test, I am getting about 740 MB/s with the SSD, compared to ~95 MB/sec with the stock 1TB HDD.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
Hi Guys I have just got the XT-XINTE PCI-E x4 x2 M.2 NGFF M-Key NVME AHCI SSD Converter Card Adapter. Looking for a NVME and the only one I can get delivered today is a WD Blue SN500 High-Performance NVMe Internal NVMe SSD - 250GB

Will this SSD work ok? I want to run MacOS Catalina

letuce

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
Hi Guys I have just got the XT-XINTE PCI-E x4 x2 M.2 NGFF M-Key NVME AHCI SSD Converter Card Adapter. Looking for a NVME and the only one I can get delivered today is a WD Blue SN500 High-Performance NVMe Internal NVMe SSD - 250GB

Will this SSD work ok? I want to run MacOS Catalina
Look for the SSD as following:
You will need to buy a M.2 adaptor for all the below SSDs :

• Adata NVMe SSD : SX6000, SX7000, SX8200, SX8200 Pro etc.
  • Corsair NVMe SSD : MP500, MP510
  • Crucial NVMe SSD : P1
  • HP NVMe SSD : ex920, ex950
  • OCZ RD400 (and all Toshiba XG3-XG4-XG5-XG5p-XG6 line)
  • Intel NVMe SSD : 600p, 660p, 760p etc.
  • MyDigital NVMe SSDs : SBX - BPX
  • Kingston NVMe SSD : A1000, A2000, KC1000
  • Sabrent Rocket
  • Samsungs Polaris NVMe SSD : 960 Evo, 960 Pro, 970 Evo, 970 Pro
  • WD Black NVMe SSD v1, v2 and v3
  • Inland Premium (not Professional)
  • ?
NVMe SSD known not to work on MacBook Pro / Air. DO NOT BUY:
  • Samsung PM981
  • Samsung 950 Pro
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus

I bought a Kingston A2000 and install Catalina. It works perfect as for now!

Last edited:

letuce

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
IMG_0704.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG

Reactions: Polochamps

AdamJohnG

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2019
Malaga, Spain
That has worked fine. The updated is so easy and painless.

Some keep insisting it is better to change out the HDD for a SATA SSD, but that is a lot more complicated, I have done it, and also can have issues with a couple of difficult connectors.

And today prices of the faster NVMe have come down a lot, so you can have a fast NVMe of 256/512 or more + keep the 1TB HDD for TM or storage.

donairsauce

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2020
Thanks to those that have spoken about their experiences here!

I've got the part from XT-XINTE ordered and am wondering if I'll need to source a screw? The drive that I've picked up is the Sabrent Rocket 256gb.

mvita

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2015
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Thanks to those that have spoken about their experiences here!

I've got the part from XT-XINTE ordered and am wondering if I'll need to source a screw? The drive that I've picked up is the Sabrent Rocket 256gb.
The XT-XINTE adapter comes with the screw you need. You should be good to go.

You do need a T6 screwdriver to get the Mini opened up (separate issue from the adapter).

I also went with a Sabrent Rocket drive, and have been pleased with its performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: donairsauce

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
I went with a different set of hardware that produces essentially the same result…

GetRealBro

donairsauce

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2020
Parts arrived today!

Shipping to Canada was a little unpredictable as I made the order on January 26th but I suspect this was due to coronavirus.

Speed results are very similar to what Stanislav reported two posts above me.

Formatting and installation of the OS was a breeze with Apple's instructions.

Thanks to everyone for making this upgrade VISIBLE!

florin170

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2020
Is there anyone who install Windows with Bootcamp assistent on ssd pcie ?

I have this error"Could not format the usb drive"

sunsetrunner

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
CA
Mac mini 2014 + OEM Adapter + XPG SX8200 Pro 256 GB (macOS Catalina)

I've done this upgrade even though I already had SATA SSD on my Mac mini. It's an easy DIY installation. You just remove bottom cover and antenna plate of Mac mini using a T6 security torx screwdriver and install the adapter, nothing complicated. It takes 5 minutes. And performance I'm getting from NVMe SSD is as expected. Really fast comparing to SATA SSD, and blazing fast comparing to that old clunky noisy HDD.

02.jpg 03.jpg

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.