Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtjeta

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
I was without my rmbp for three days the past week. I decided to make the experiment of doing my work using my iPad Air with a Bluetooth keyboard. I did the following kind of work:
- reviewing an student PhD thesis, written in PDF, and give returns to him.
- prepare several bureaucratic papers for this thesis, with office.
- attend to several meetings, accessing gdrive data.

I had several thinks for which I had to use a computer (printing a version of the thesis for its consideration), but he experiment for me was an incredible success this week. With the use of remote access software (jump desktop) I was able to do everything from my iPad.

This was not a completely normal week, I knew I would be able to manage to do everything with the iPad, but it is improving. And with improvements on office for iPad (equations, please ....) and in some other programs (in my case, specially, matlab) it would be almost possible than I work directly with an iPad.
I still prefer my rmbp 15 + iPad combo, as using the computer for typing is still more comfortable and the computer software is still more advanced, but I cannot understand the idea of many people that tablets cannot do everything a computer can. We just need improved software, sometimes enabling access to proper computers with higher performance, and better integration with monitors, keyboards, and maybe mouses, and we will be able to do everything we do in a computer.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Good answers, thanks everyone for posting on this thread

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 a month ago and it is great and is 100% way better in every single way than old my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.

The Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 is my primary Android tablet and my old Galaxy Tab 2 7 is my back up now.

And my Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) is my primary Windows 8 tablet and computer well i am really not to sure about the "primary computer bit" because i all so think my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 is my primary computer as well.

Anyone else using a tablet as there primary computer? if not why haven't you replaced your laptop with a tablet yet?

Last edited:

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
I had a tablet PC/hybrid for a while. It was good, but it just wasn't the same as using a proper full sized laptop. Everything was smaller and it was difficult to use overall.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Good point about Remote Desktop software

That allows me a great deal of flexibility on the iPad, requires a regular computer set up elsewhere of course :p but still the touchscreen to mouse controls work great for me. More so for on the go flexibility, of course I'd prefer to just be on the PC itself. Not lugging it about is a huge benefit though

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
well I don't have a computer as with a 12.2 device why would I need one?

A 11/12 inch tablet is still more PORTABLE than a 11/12inch laptop.

My 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet(Acer Iconia W700) is alot more portable and way less heavy than my 15inch gaming laptop.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Even something like a ThinkPad W540 or and HP ZBook 15 would be a makeshift device.

So much work on making ULV CPUs, and not on mobile heavily multicore CPUs.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
An iPad was the only computer I used outside of work for about 2 years. My desktop at home got real dusty.

There are real issues though. The iPad RAM issue will be noticed. The inability to run 2 apps at once will be noticed. Forget creating spreadsheets; it sucks.

The iPad gets you there I would about 80%, especially with a real keyboard by Logitech. I think a good chunk of the population could coast with just an iPad.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
I think success depends on your os. A win 8 tablet for example is basically a computer already.
An Android one could be hooked up with usb flash drives and other things similar to the Windows tab.

An iPad would have the better tablet based apps I guess although lack of sub support hinders a few things if your trying to replace a computer. There's also ram issues (subjectively) and no multiscreen support.

Conniegarric

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
It is very hard to use tablet in replace of computer. Both play individual role and cannot take each other’s place. Tablets are not comfortable to work for long hours, though for small hours it can definitely be used.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Too bad no one makes a touch screen laptop that can also function as a tablet so you can have both.....oh....wait....

surface_pro_3_red_type_cover.jpg

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
It has been about 9 months since someone last posted in this thread.

I think it is time to put this thread back to life again!! :)

So everyone have you been using a tablet as your primary computer? if not then do you think you will replace your laptop with a tablet in the future? or why haven't you replaced your laptop with a tablet? :)

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I've all but abandoned tablets now, they are fine for the occasional surfing of the net or watching a moving while traveling, but i find myself return to the traditional laptop - its simply better on every front.

The only device i would consider moving to would be a SP3.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Using a tablet as your primary computer?

It has been about 9 months since someone last posted in this thread.

I think it is time to put this thread back to life again!! :)

So everyone have you been using a tablet as your primary computer? if not then do you think you will replace your laptop with a tablet in the future? or why haven't you replaced your laptop with a tablet? :)

I must ask, why do all your threads end up being fundamentally the same thing rehashed ad verbatim ?

They all read and come across like a students homework, they start off with the homework essay title (poorly construed premise) , and then proceed to sound like you expect us here to do the homework for them without profiting any of your own opinion what so ever.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I must ask, why do all your threads end up being fundamentally the same thing rehashed ad verbatim ?

They all read and come across like a students homework, they start off with the homework essay title (poorly construed premise) , and then proceed to sound like you expect us here to do the homework for them without profiting any of your own opinion what so ever.

I honestly think it should be considered spam... wonder if the mods would do anything about it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well my laptop is on it's death bed at the moment. It's still operational, just but it won't last much longer. I'll be getting a new one at the end of the month but for the next 3 weeks my ipad air 2 will have to be my main computer. To be honest I rarely use my laptop but I prefer to have one.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
With the use of remote access software (jump desktop) I was able to do everything from my iPad.

I need to remotely access servers and my work desktop, I've done it on my iPad, but its not something I really would want to do for extended periods.

Its great because on occasion, I've been paged about an issues and pulled out my iPad but its not viable for long term use imo.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Hmm. I'm still debating whether to buy a new laptop. I was planing on buying one next week. However I'm still not convinced I need one. My old laptop is not usable, although I can still power it on and retrieve data, do tasks in a pinch. I've not touched it in over a month and I've not felt like I'm at any disadvantage. My iPad air 2 and mini and 6 plus have served me just fine.

I could just buy a larger tablet like the Galaxy tab pro 12.2 and be done with it. If I buy a laptop it will sit collecting dust like the old one did for the past year or so. Also even if I force myself to use it all I'll do on it is surf the web, watch videos and check my emails. All of which I can do on on my tablets!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Too bad no one makes a touch screen laptop that can also function as a tablet so you can have both.....oh....wait....

I'm really considering jumping on the Surface Pro bandwagon (just for fun, I'll never replace my Macs!)

The idea of the device intrigues me and, despite my disdain for Windows, I don't mind Win8. I'd be interested in seeing what I could do with such a device.

If I did it though.....I'd go all out. No RT nonsense for me.

----------

Well my laptop is on it's death bed at the moment. It's still operational, just but it won't last much longer. I'll be getting a new one at the end of the month but for the next 3 weeks my ipad air 2 will have to be my main computer. To be honest I rarely use my laptop but I prefer to have one.

I bought my MacBook Air for my MBA program and honestly, I do most of my work on my iPad Air 2. Generally though, it's nice to have the Macbook Air - I'll pull up my textbook on my iPad and my assignments/web portal on my Mac.

They work well together.

All-in-all though if I were picking a device to not be without, it'd be my iPad Air 2.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I need to remotely access servers and my work desktop, I've done it on my iPad, but its not something I really would want to do for extended periods.

Its great because on occasion, I've been paged about an issues and pulled out my iPad but its not viable for long term use imo.

Likewise, but that is also the most I would need a laptop for. I have been without a laptop for nearly two years. It honestly really helps me balance a work/personal life. I respond to email here and there, but I never take my work home :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.