Using a Thunderbolt 2 hub with a USB-C/TB3 Mac mini

Mr Baldman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Nottingham UK
I need some guidance on which cable/adapter will solve my current problem, as I am new to the whole USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 technology...

I just purchased a 2018 Mac mini which has USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 ports on it.

I have an existing CalDigit Thunderbolt 2 Hub which I would like to use with the Mac mini that has USB-A, e-Sata, ethernet, HDMI ports on it.

So I need a cable that goes from TB2/MiniDisplayPort to USB-C/TB3.

Am I correct in thinking that it specifically HAS to be a TB2 to TB3 cable, and not just a 'USB-C to Mini Display Port' cable?

I see lots of cables on amazon that are advertised as just 'USB-C to Mini Display Port', and retail for around the $15 mark, but only a few that explicitly state 'TB2 to TB3' and are significantly more expensive.

Are the cheaper ones limited in their functionality, and only support display data?

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
I need some guidance on which cable/adapter will solve my current problem, as I am new to the whole USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 technology...

I just purchased a 2018 Mac mini which has USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 ports on it.

I have an existing CalDigit Thunderbolt 2 Hub which I would like to use with the Mac mini that has USB-A, e-Sata, ethernet, HDMI ports on it.

So I need a cable that goes from TB2/MiniDisplayPort to USB-C/TB3.

Am I correct in thinking that it specifically HAS to be a TB2 to TB3 cable, and not just a 'USB-C to Mini Display Port' cable?

I see lots of cables on amazon that are advertised as just 'USB-C to Mini Display Port', and retail for around the $15 mark, but only a few that explicitly state 'TB2 to TB3' and are significantly more expensive.

Are the cheaper ones limited in their functionality, and only support display data?
You need to use this: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter
You cannot use a mini Displayport cable.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2011
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Just to clarify - the Apple adapter will work for you, a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort will not. Someone COULD make a "Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2" cable that superficially resembles the USB-C to mDP cable, but is different electrically. If that sort of cable existed, you could use it. I did a quick Google and didn't find evidence of any, but they might be out there.

Reactions: Mr Baldman