Using a Time Capsule for more storage with the RMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Jun 15, 2012.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Since the base model only has 256GB, this seems like the easiest and cheapest solution for more space. I need a new router anyways, and I'd like something I could just leave on and forget about. I've never used a wireless external drive though. When the Time Capsule is online, will it just show up on my Mac as an external HDD? I'd mostly use it for my iTunes library and backups. Would it work well for that? Thanks for any help!

2. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Yes, it will show up as a wireless external drive. It will store a backup to your data and music library, although you will not be able to stream off it. Also, if your Time Capsule exceeds over 2 TB, all of your information from original backups will be replaced. Otherwise it's a great router to use and sync your data automatically.

3. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

It'll only serve as a backup? I won't be able to access files from it like I would if I plugged a USB drive into the computer?

4. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Yes you can place a iTunes library on it. There are some minor inconveniences though. If you don't have the drive mounted when you open iTunes, you will get a bunch of error marks next to your files indicating iTunes couldn't find them. When you mount the drive they won't disappear. For that you need to restart iTunes.

Practically speaking what this means is you need to always mount the drive before loading up iTunes for it to work well. This can be done with Automator or an Applescript.

Backups automatically mount and dismount the TC drive, but there is no option to have the drive auto-mounted and dismounted based on the libraries you place on it, whether it be iTunes or iPhoto, etc. So you need to take care of that yourself.

5. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502