Using a UK 3G in US

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by swiftybilko, Aug 4, 2008.

1. swiftybilko macrumors newbie

My 3G iPhone will (hopefully) delivered tomorrow....OH JOY

Then in a week I'll jet of to the US for a holiday. While I'm there I want to be careful not to bankrupt myself by using talk/text. It is my intention, therefore, to switch the phone to Airplane Safe.

This will turn off the 'phone' element of the device, no?

What will this then leave me with? WiFi to cruise the net and do eMail, I suspect.

If this is the case, then I'll be happy. I guess I was hoping that I'd find a happy medium where the talk/text element was disabled but (free) data downloads would magically still be available, but that, even to my optimistic eyes, seems unlikely.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your information is correct. I would check with O2 before you leave though and see if you can get some sort of discount for the US, then just turn off Data Roaming and data won't be charged, but you can still use the phone.

TEG

3. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Bolt On...

Be careful with those roaming charges, they are horrendous, check other stories on the net.

However, O2 offer a Bolt on, where you can purchase 50mb for £50, if you intend to surf and check email. you will still be charged roaming charges for the calls, so check the rates with them. I think they are reduced for iphone users though.

Personaly, I would just get a calling card from Nobelcom.com, and use that at practically any public phonebox or hotel - it's going to be alot cheaper.

Don't forget to switch off your voicemail too, 1750 and 1760 - on and off - but can't remember which way round. You need to do this BEFORE you leave the UK.

As the British English would say "you're going to get hammered" (referring to the charges from O2).

Happy Holidays, i'm off to Florida on 29th August - can't wait!!:D

4. monkeytennis macrumors member

I thought Airplane Mode turned off Wifi as well? Or am I wrong?
    I though

5. ajthomason macrumors 6502

It does, but you can turn it back on again in 2.0.

I just spent a couple of weeks in Ireland; phone in Airplane (Flight) Mode the whole time, with Wi-Fi on - It worked perfectly.

6. monkeytennis macrumors member

Ah, sweet. Thanks for the tip, very handy.