Using a US iPad in a country that doesn't have an iTunes store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by frez, Dec 20, 2010.

1. frez macrumors member

I intend to buy an iPad in the US, however I will be traveling to a country that doesn't have its own specific regional iTunes store.

Will I be able to buy apps, music, videos etc or can I only do it while in the US?

Thanks!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can create US itunes account and load it with itunes gift cards.

3. frez thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply Consultant. :)

So to confirm:

1. Buy iTunes gift cards in the US
    2. Add them to a US iTunes account
    3. While traveling, login to that account
    4. Buy/Download apps

Also, what happens if I run out of credit while traveling, can I just get someone to buy me more US iTunes cards and then I can load up from where I am? Or can I buy iTunes Gift Cards online while overseas and use them?
    I don't need to be in the US to add them ... right?

I know it's a lot of questions - but before I plunk down all the $$, I just want to confirm that this works 100%?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Hey frez, If you got friends that can buy from reputable stores, that's the easiest.

Basically it's a code entered into the account.

You don't have to be in the US to add them, but someone has either mail it to you or add them.

5. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

You don't def' need the gift cards.

Are you from the US? If you are from a country that has the iTunes app store then all you need is a Credit card registered in that country, set up your account and then your fine to download from anywhere.

6. Mawal macrumors regular

yep, that's it. Set up your US account with a US based paypal or credit card account and you're just fine.

There is no problem whatsoever using an US Itunes account from outside the US. I access my US Itunes account from Europe on a regular basis. There is no IP check on the Itunes store, whereas with Hulu or amazon it is a different matter. They will only work with an US IP.

7. frez thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. :)

I am in the US - but will be spending some time out of the country.

Sounds like there are some good options there.

Cheers.

8. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I recently deployed and ran into a problem downloading apps onto my iPad. I ended up emailing Apple and telling them my situation and they fixed it within 24 hrs.

Maybe shoot them an email so you don't have to worry about running out of iTunes gift cards, you'll be able to just use your debit card associated with your iTunes account like normal.

Good luck.

9. peled macrumors member

peled

My iPAD was bought in London.
    I am in Israel, and have no problem with surfing the iTune Store buying stuff

10. yourdailyapple macrumors newbie

There are no country restrictions, so don't worry everything will work fine.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Foreigners can't get US credit cards easily

But if you got US credit card, that's the best way.

12. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I can confirm that is accurate...

I spent a week in South America, and was able to access and buy from the U.S. iTunes AppStore, as I already had a US account. No problems found.

13. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

I was in Japan, bought a U.S. ipad and logged into my U.S. account and was happily downloading stuff. It doesn't where you are at, it matters what country your itunes account is linked to.

Also with regards to Amazon. I could log into my U.S. Amazon account and order stuff all the time. I am a Marine so I had a "U.S." address to have stuff mailed to and if an item couldn't be shipped FPO, AP I would use APO.com. I accessed Amazon from my off-base residence. On a side note, I miss it over there, 100 megabit fiber to the home for about $60 dollars a month.