Using a US iPhone in Europe? VOIP questions etc.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Jul 16, 2011.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Hey all,

Apologies if this has been covered on the forums already, I've been searching and googling to no avail.

I'm going to be living in Spain for 6 months and am planning to use Gevey Sim to unlock my phone and use a sim card from ORANGE that gives me unlimited data. I'm looking for an App that will give me VOIP calls and texts with a phone number that's reliable, works well, and cheap. I also don't want the app to bite into my monthly minutes with orange, that would kind of defeat the whole purpose it seems since with the unlimited data sim you pay per minute.

Please let me know if you know of anything that fits the bill. I looked into skype, but it doesn't look like skype give you a phone number?

Oh, if only google voice was available in Europe.

Thanks.

2. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Also, once I get to Spain will my phone automatically start browsing the Spanish app store? If I want to avoid international rates don't I have to download the App from the Spanish app store and get a Spanish phone number?

I'm really confused if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

3. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

The phone is jailbroken if that makes any difference.

4. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hey! I live in the UK, but hope I can help! The could well be some around, but I don't know of any apps that can be used in Europe which give you a voip phone number. I use an app called Viber which, so long as the people you want to call also have it installed on their phone, will allow you to use your data allowance/wifi to send calls and SMS. Kind of like Skype, except you don't have to have the app open constantly because it uses push notifications... Battery saver :)
    On the App Store question, the store being used at all shouldn't change. So long as you'll still have a US credit card and billing address, you won't incur any extra charges for using that store. If you'll have a Spanish credit card and would prefer to use that, then there's no harm in doing that either!
    Hope this helps :)

5. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks James,

Unfortunately Viber won't work for me. I'm looking for something that will give me a spanish phone number that I can use with all phones.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

6. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks James,

Unfortunately Viber won't work for me. I'm looking for something that will give me a spanish phone number that I can use with all phones.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

7. blueroom, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Edit: are you certain the Orange sim card will work in your iPhone with only a data plan? Or do you plan on getting a voice option too. The Gevey Sim seems to have problems with unlocks, better make sure it works before you go.

I have Acrobits and a voip service for my iPad, works great.