Using a Vado Pocket Camera on My iMac--How do I do it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by icydog, Dec 24, 2008.

1. icydog macrumors member

This is my first post here on the Mac Rumors Forums, although I always seek advice when I need it. Thanks for having me.

Over the weekend Amazon had a Gold Box Special for the Vado Pocket Video Camera. With my Amazon Prime discount I got the camera for $49. I bought two, one for us, and one for my daughter to take quick videos of our grandson. She has PCs but we only have Macs (I have the 24" iMac). I wonder if anyone knows how to transfer video using this little camera. I would mostly be using it for You Tube for videos of my grandkids. Please don't tell me to return it to buy another camera. I really want to use this one.

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

What format is the video? What shows up on the desktop when you plug it in? what software did it come with?

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

From memory this little number records .avi using the XVID codec. A job for mpeg streamclip?

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

MPEG Streamclip

defiantly a job for MPEG Streamclip. Free download here. Streamclip will convert, export, encode, and even edit your video! Your camera should pop up as a device on the desktop when connected through USB, or FireWire. Double-click and find the file you want, drag it on to Stramclip and you're off!:D

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

But if you have the right plug-ins (probably just Perian is necessary) you should be able to watch, edit etc in Quicktime and iMovie just fine without conversion.

My computer is loaded with .avis that play just fine.

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

You are right. I just like giving a full explanation in my posts of everything that you should do if something(s) goes wrong. I would still recommend downloading MPEG Streamclip, it's free and a small file.:D Perian would work too just for watching.