Using a WD My Passport drive as an internal upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScottNY71, Apr 14, 2011.

1. ScottNY71 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've been searching all day and hope you guys can help.

I have a late 2006 MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz) that can only accept 9.5 mm internal HDs. I also have a new Western Digital My Passport Essential SE (link) and want to use that as an internal drive, and put my current 120 GB internal drive in that enclosure.

I called WD and the technical support person said the drive is 9.5 mm tall and uses SATA, which means it would work exactly as planned.

But if he was wrong and I break open the drive and it doesn't work, I'm out $90 (I got it on sale) and I'll void the warranty. And the WD site shows that all their internal notebook drives are 12.5 mm, so where would this 9.5 mm drive come from? It is special for this enclosure? Are they using a third party hard drive? Or did the tech lie to me or guess?

Has anyone opened this drive, or know if this drive is actually 9.5 mm tall? If not, has anyone installed a 12.5 mm drive in a MacBook Pro this old?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Scott

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

All of WD's 1TB 2.5" drives are 12.5mm. The rep was wrong, probably just making an unwarranted assumption.

jW

3. ScottNY71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thanks for the reply.

I decided to buy this, which is 9.5 mm and 7200 rpm, and I'll use the Passport as a local Time Machine backup since my current backup is over a slow network.

4. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I was going to do the same, but i opened up the Passport (which is just clipped together like a sandwich) kinda hard to explain, the drive has no connectors apart from a USB port soldered directly onto the hdd board.

5. ScottNY71 thread starter macrumors newbie

USB connector

I read that on another forum and someone replied that it's a standard HD with a SATA connector but it has a SATA -> USB connector soldered on that's hard (but not impossible) to remove.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Not all of them have them, just the newer ones,as it was supposedly WDs way to keep people from buying the externals to use internally (this was when you could buy a better external hard drive for lass price than the internals were going for).