Using a Windows upgrade disk in bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bazookafx3, Oct 22, 2009.

1. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

So I currently have windows XP running on the boot camp partition of my macbook unibody (Before they were called 'pros') and I want to purchase Windows 7 for this machine, my plan is to use a vista upgrade, then the windows 7 upgrade in order to get Windows 7 home premium on my machine (I get windows 7 upgrade for only $30 seeing as I'm a student)
    So I am wondering if there is a way to do the upgrade or if I have to start with a full install every time I want a new version of windows?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Upgrade should work. There's nothing different about installing Windows on a Mac than installing it on a regular PC. All Boot Camp does is help create a partition to install Windows on.

All you would need to do is just insert each disc and then hold down the "C" key or "Option" key and select the Windows disc and proceed with the install.

3. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I'm pretty sure you can completely bypass Vista as long as you have a authentication code

4. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Does that mean if I get a fresh install CD that I can use my code for the upgrade but just install with that CD? (AKA a oem or full version)

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Product keys are meant to be used with the disc it came with so no you cannot use the product key with the upgrade disc.