Using ACD 27inch on lower resolution?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aquablue, Jan 4, 2011.

1. aquablue, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

aquablue macrumors member

I'm thinking of buying an ACD 27inch. Given that I need to view the monitor from a greater distance than normal (music/recording uses) and that sometimes I find the text in some apps a little too small at that resolution, I was wondering how the display looks on the lower resolution for increased text size? I tried it in the store on 1920x1080 and it appeared to be quite readable and the text was nice and big even though the image was not as sharp. I assume this is the same as running a 24inch ACD in terms of real estate but with bigger text. I think the ppi would be lower for the 27 inch on 1080p resulting in bigger and more easily readable text for my purposes. Although the screen didn't appear as sharp on the lower resolution, the text seemed OK and there didn't seem to be any limitations to viewing. So, in general is there much distortion or is it usable for most tasks if one needs the bigger text or should I go for the lower screen size. From the store it seemed like it would satisfy me, but I want to know if there are distortion issues and if text and images are still decent?

Also, due to the glossy screen in a room with windows, is it important to close all the blinds in the day time to reduce glare? What kind of light source is recommended in the room in terms of brightness level? I have two windows with light curtains that allow strong sunlight through.

Thanks
    Aqua

2. blackreplica macrumors member

the glossy screen is strongly reflective. So some light control in your room is highly recommended unless you enjoy admiring yourself when you work

On the bright side though, the screen has enough reserve brightness to overpower reasonable amounts of room lighting, but of course, power consumption will increase exponentially

Its a beautiful monitor to look at if your room isnt too bright though

I just tried my 27 ACD at 1920 x 1080. Its subjective i guess, but i personally think it looks disgusting. Maybe there is a way to bring the monitor closer to you?

3. aquablue, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

aquablue thread starter macrumors member

I did I prefer the larger text size for reading text in some apps where you can't adjust the size.

Disgusting how? Can you read the text without difficulty? I guess I'll have to find a 24 inch then if its that bad. In the store i thought it wasn't too bad and I found it easier to read the smaller text on some apps that have small fonts.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you need a 27" and big fonts, I would get a 27" that has a native res of 1920x1080. Those are pretty inexpensive, and it would actually look decent, as lcds only look best at native res

5. aquablue thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I was hoping for an IPS screen...there are none at that rez.

I'll just buy the 27inch as I prefer an IPS screen rather than TN... I found it didn't look too bad when I tried it at the lower rez in the store... I didn't see any terrible blurring when I checked it. There are no other options other than an LCD TV and I believe they have fans in them.

On second thought, is the text size on the 24 much smaller than the 27 on lower rez?

The 30 inch ACD screen would have much bigger text than the 27 and 24 inch ACD?

6. toxic macrumors 68000

all those ppi's are probably similar. I suggest you buy an LCD TV or just use a monitor at non-native resolution. if you think it looks fine, then it doesn't matter what others think.

whether the gloss is an issue in natural light depends where the windows are. if they reflect to where you are, obviously it'll be an issue.

7. SidBala macrumors 6502a

LCDs look like garbage if you run them at non-native res. Do what the other person said. Get a 27 inch 1080p monitor. They are probably less than half the price of an ACD.

Or even better, get a 1080p TV at that size.

Not sure how much difference would there be between IPS and TN when running at non-native res. IMO, They will both look equally bad when running non-native.

8. toxic macrumors 68000

IPS doesn't inherently look crisper or more contrasty or whatever than TN (it's less contrasty). IPS is superior because of large viewing angles and color gamuts.

9. blackreplica macrumors member

reading text was fine, but the blurring, haze, and overall loss of crispness was what disgusted me

If you really, really need the larger text, i'd go with what the others said, and choose something with a smaller native resolution in the same monitor size.

It will save you a bundle and look heaps better

If you really need larger text in the 27 ACD, perhaps looking into tweaking your font sizes in your most used apps.

10. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

To be honest, if you're using it for music production and likely limiting yourself to a particular viewing position, I don't see the point - except perhaps as a matter of principle.

Considering that principle may cost you $800 for a 27", I would argue that there are better things to spend the money on :)