Using Aiport Ekspress as an extender With D-link router!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moeller, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Moeller macrumors newbie

Hey everybody...

I'm an all new mac-user, just resived my Macbook Pro SR LED 15" today. Nice Machine!

But i have a problem with our wireless internet connection at my house. It can't really reach the MBP. Right now i'm running <10 kb/s, wich is pretty annoying!

Well, our router is a D-link DI-514. Do anyone here know, if it's possible to use the Airport Ekspress as an extender with this Router? With ot without being able to use Airtunes, doesn't matter as i'm soon moving anyway.

I tried searching google, but i'n not a shark at reading english when it comes to technical issues, so if anyone here could help me, i would really appriciate it!!

Thanks in Advance

Moeller...

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I will guess you're Scandinavian?

Yes, you can absolutely use the Express as an extender. It's called a WDS setup and there are many google articles that tell you exactly how to do it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107454

That should do it. In your case your D-Link will be considered your Main access point.

3. Moeller thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i'm scandinavian... ;)

Well i tried that now, and i can configure the airport ekspress to be an extender og the network, but then when i have to "assign" it to the main point, i won't find my D-link router...

I'm pretty lost here... ;)

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Your D-Link router does have to be capable of having a WDS on the network, otherwise called bridging. If it doesn't then there's little you can do.